Thread: Thought on Power Injection.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thought on Power Injection.

I want to take four 50 light 12 volt ribbon strips and connect them to one Espixelstick.

I know the standard way of injection is every 100 pixels, but that takes 3 power injection points.

What if you only inject at the 50-51 and 150-151 points only. The Espixelstick would still be connected at the beginning point and would get its power from the ribbon. the voltage at the point would be about 9 volts. The power injection points would provide power to both ribbons connected to that injection point.

I have tested a ribbon with all white on and do not see any discoloring, with 2 ribbons being powered from one end , the second ribbon starts showing some changes about 15-20 pixels on the second ribbon.

So would powering the ribbons that way have an effect on the ESPixelstick?

Anybody try this?
    Last edited by Dennis Cherry; 04-06-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    Inventor of the "LED Keeper"

My Videos [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry"]www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thought on Power Injection.

I have and it works as long as the ESP gets more than 7.5v. When you drop below that level the voltage regulators start to starve and you start getting data errors.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 04-06-2018 at 02:02 PM.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    I have and it works as long as the ESP gets more than 7.5v. When you drop below that level the voltage regulators start to starve and you start getting data errors.
    Thanks will try it.

UPDATE:
    Just tried it and worked just fine, retested the voltage to the ESPixelstick and it is 9.5 volts.

Forgot to mention my voltage test was made with All WHITE on.
    Last edited by Dennis Cherry; 04-06-2018 at 05:50 PM.

My Videos [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry"]www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Dennis it is best to wire the ESPixelStick to the normal incoming power terminal, not the load terminal. Both will work, but the normal incoming will provide fuse protection.
    See Picture

ESPixelStickWiring.JPG
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

sporadic mentioned one time that he uses the esp at the end of power runs (like you are doing) so I think you are on solid ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I did that, wanted the fuse in the circuit for added protection.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    Dennis it is best to wire the ESPixelStick to the normal incoming power terminal, not the load terminal. Both will work, but the normal incoming will provide fuse protection.
    See Picture

ESPixelStickWiring.JPG