Thread: Pixel Strip / Ribbon Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel Strip / Ribbon Question

I am having a hard time finding any discussion on what the real differences are between the Pixel strips I find from LOR, HolidayCoro, WowLights and DIYLEDExpress. All have significant differences in cost, yet all seem to have the same specs. 5m length, 12V, 30 LED/m, 10 pixels/m, 120degree viewing angle. Can anyone shine some light to this subject for me, or are they all the same thing just packaged and sold by different vendors?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel Strip / Ribbon Question

Usually the pigtail ends are different from vendor to vendor and customer services. Some are more plug n play and others more DIY
    Otherwise from my understanding they are all the same pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

big difference in strip, is whether you do 30/10 or 60/20. many use 30/10 and are satisfied with the brightness and look. 60/20 offers you more pixels making it brighter. many have gone away from using it as an outline on their houses because of their fragile nature. i would venture to guess that unless you are using the boscoyo pixel wreaths, that any arches you see whether its pex or hdpe, will use strip. and you have those few die-harders that like the look of the strip to build a megatree. other than arches, be sure to affix the strip to something rigid, i.e pvc or emt. it will help their longevity. and to your original question, there is no difference between vendors other than cost.

Post Thanks / Like

There are also 30/30 (aka 1:1 - each LED is a pixel) and 60/60 strips using WS2812b pixels. I have removed most of these from my show due to quality issues. The biggest problem seems to be the devices separating from the strips. Solder does not flex. This makes any strip subject to long term issues if you are not putting it up and leaving it alone. For the 30/30 and 60/60 strips there is an additional issue in which the chips run hotter, making the solder even less reliable. I personally have far fewer issues with the 30:10 strips than I have with the 30/30 strips.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info everyone! This is quite helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

I would hesitate to say they are all the same but we don't have a consumer reports for light products. It is very hard to know the differences so we tend to buy on price until they fail us.
    Some things you might get from the specs would be different current usage and voltage drop characteristics. If you order from different vendors or even from the same supplier at different times, you might notice differences in the color or brightness of the LEDs. Bottom line, go with a vendor that gives you the service you need at the price you can afford.

7. Likes Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to also check how weather resistant the strips are, you should look for an IP rating from IP65 to IP68. The higher the IP rating means better weather proofing, price also goes up with the higher ratings. Some China pixel strips ratings are questionable also.

Be aware of the lower ratings unless you are going to enclose them your self.

www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/
    Inventor of the "LED Keeper"

My Videos [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry"]www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry[/URL]