Thread: Falcon PiCap - Power question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Falcon PiCap - Power question

This may not be a PiCap question but rather a power injection question. I bought a PiCap to run both a strand of 5v pixels(100 ct) and a few 12v Pixel Floods(2 ct). What I want to do, is have 1 enclosure in the middle of the pixel strand and the floods which houses a 5v Power supply, a 12v Power Supply and the Raspberry Pi/PiCap. What would be the ideal way to wire this?

Currently, on the PiCap, I have it set up so that in the p1 slot, I have my 5v pixels wired with only the data+ground wires going to the PiCap. I am powering the pixels with a 5v Power Supply at the end of the strand. In the p2 slot, I have the 12v floods wired with volt+data+ground and am powering the floods with a 12v Power Supply at the end of the strand. With this current setup, I have the PiCap jumpered to use 12v input and the Raspberry Pi+PiCap is being powered without me having anything plugged into the power connector on the PiCap.

My question is, right now, am I damaging the Raspberry Pi/PiCap by feeding power through the p2 slot? Is there a way I can power inject from the start of the strands instead without damaging anything? My biggest concern is this is the first time I have used 5v and 12v together and it worries me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Falcon PiCap - Power question

You can power inject in this way without issue. I personally would inject at the start of the strings but that is personal preference. Since the PI and the Hat run at 5V, as long as you deliver 7V or more at 2A to the PI, then it should work without issue. It is the 2A that would get me to inject at the start of the 12v string. The shorter the run between the PI and the 12V PSU the better the control you will have over the power the PI needs.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 04-03-2018 at 01:54 PM.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

So pardon my crummy drawing, but I am just wanting to make sure this would work. Is there a better way to do this?

12V Power Supply +,- to power on PiCap
    P1 +,d,- to 12V Floods
    P2 d,- to 5V Pixels
    5V Power Supply +,- to 5V Pixels

My concern is accidentally feeding 12V to the pixels and blowing them.

Post Thanks / Like

Your outline is correct as is your concern. That is always an issue when dealing with multiple voltages. It is one of the reasons I try not to connect the + on a controller to any string. I almost always inject power at the start of a string and I prefer a dedicated PSU for the controller that is not driving any pixels. Then you cannot damage a controller with the wrong voltage. You can still burn out the LEDs but they cost less to replace than a controller.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

5. Thanks pmkoch thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, glad to hear that. That is a great tip about using a standalone PSU for the controller to avoid conflicts. Thank you for your help on this!