Thread: Control a GPIO from a sequence

Post Thanks / Like

Default Control a GPIO from a sequence

Hi I have connected a Relay to my Rasberry PI 3. I have tested this in the Falcon Player by creating some power on and off script. The scripts I have placed in some events, so now I can control the power in my playlist. My next step is I would also like to control some power from a sequence, and I have tried to find a good example on how to do that in this forums.

Could you give me some hints. Can I actually run a Event created in Falcon from my sequence in Vixen 3? or do I need to configure some channel output which I havenīt quited figured out how to use and how I would be able to start in a sequence.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Control a GPIO from a sequence

The Pi (and now BBB's on master) have a GPIO output on the Channel Outputs -> Other tab. You can map a channel in the sequence to the GPIO and control on/off via the channel. You can also use "Soft PWM" on the Pi and hardware PWM on some pins of the BBB to map channel values to a PWM pin. That wouldn't be good for a relay though.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your fast reply Dan. I understand the part about setting up channel output in PI. But in Vixen I am affraid i do not quite understand what I have to do What kind of effect must I use in Vixen to trigger the GPIO? and I guess I also have to create an Element (single item?) and map to a controller I also must create (what kind of controller?).

Post Thanks / Like

It's just a channel. So you sequence it like any other channel.

Post Thanks / Like

In Vixen, create an element that represent your channel, map to a controller (almost any kind will do since you are going to use the PI as your player). Open your sequence, on the file menu, choose export, export the sequence to an FPP file, copy the file to the FPP, play it.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys, I got it now and it works perfect.