Thread: Splicing Pixel Strings - Pixel Splice/Tap - works great!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Splicing Pixel Strings - Pixel Splice/Tap - works great!

I have been working on a Pixel prop for the last couple of weeks and I have been working with different methods to join strings of pixels, or add pigtails. I have used solder and heat shrink, heat shrink/crimp butt connectors which both work fine, but are not the neatest solution, I also worry about the durability of these connections.

I finally remembered that I had invested in some Pixel Splice/Taps (PST) that Jon Chuchla had developed a couple of years ago. These are TINY PCBs with no electronics designed to splice typical pixel strings and give some Power Injection options. These are currently availabe from Holiday Lighting. What I like most about using these boards, is they are designed to accept wire ties on each end of the board for strain relief for the connections and still fit inside a single piece of heat shrink. In going back and reading the original thread on this product, 1/2" Heat Shrink was recommended, but I have been having great success with 3/8" 3:1 adhesive lined heat shrink being able to fit over the soldered board and wire ties, and then completely sealing around the wires coming into the connection.

These are extremely inexpensive boards and make joining pixel wire easy. I wanted to resurface this product on the forum as I know there are more folks out there working with pixels all of the time who might not realize this option is available.

I heartily suggest you check them out!
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

2. Likes Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Splicing Pixel Strings - Pixel Splice/Tap - works great!

They also come in 3 wire and 4 wire options, they have been a great help to me also when splicing my dumb RGB
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I wondered how many people are still using these. I know I do. Ironically, I may actually have to buy some back from Chris this year, my supply is running low.

I don't find myself ever using the wire ties with them though. I never really have pixel splices under tension. That 3/8" 3:1 heat shrink is what I use and it provides a good deal of strain relief on it's own.

I only use them for things I'm assembling on the bench. They're a bit too small for me to put together out in the yard.

5. Likes TomL8345 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will have to try them without the wire ties. It would certainly make it an even smaller, neater splice. I agree they are small for field repairs, but they do work great when assembling in the workshop.
    Last edited by TomL8345; 03-29-2018 at 08:17 AM.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes