Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having trouble configuring TR-24 and SS-24s in Vixen...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Having trouble configuring TR-24 and SS-24s in Vixen...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    1st, are you going to daisy chain the controller off of each other so it is something like PC serial dongle -> TR24 -> SS24 -> SS24? Is so you do not need any special start addressing in the firmware just the standard Renard firmware on each controller, by default the controller will consume the data they use and only pass the remaining data to the next.

So that means in Vixen you only need to create one "Renard" Controller of 72 channels, the TR 24 will take in the entire data stream, use the 1st 24 and pass the remaining 48 to the next SS24 that will use the 1st 24 channels it gets (of the 48) and pass the remaining 24 to the final SS24
    Thanks so much, Matt. That was the problem. I just created one 72-channel Renard controller, and it's up and running!

Post Thanks / Like

So, next question, guys. Like I said, I'm up and running after creating a 72-channel Renard controller in Vixen. I noticed something interesting through. Like I said, I'm going from a laptop to a SS24 (1-24) to a SS24 (25-48) to a TR24(49-72). When I daisy chain the controllers in that order, the TR 24 does not get a good signal and gets flaky and unresponsive. However, if I switch it up, and go from a laptop to the TR24 (49-72) to the SS24 (1-24) to the SS24 (25-48), everything seems to work much, much better. Any idea what the reason for that could be? I'm only testing with two short-ish jumpers (no more than 6-15 feet long). Could it have something to do with the signal strength coming from the USB to Serial to RJ45 Adapter? Would it be better to run through a USB hub with external power first to make sure the signal is nice and strong? Or does it have something to do with the difference between the SS24 and the TR24? Does the TR24 actually boost your RJ45 signal, but the SS24s do not? I can certainly run it with the 49-72 board first, and then the other two, but I'm just wondering why that is.

Thanks so much! You guys are awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolgrimmy View Post
    So, next question, guys. Like I said, I'm up and running after creating a 72-channel Renard controller in Vixen. I noticed something interesting through. Like I said, I'm going from a laptop to a SS24 (1-24) to a SS24 (25-48) to a TR24(49-72). When I daisy chain the controllers in that order, the TR 24 does not get a good signal and gets flaky and unresponsive. However, if I switch it up, and go from a laptop to the TR24 (49-72) to the SS24 (1-24) to the SS24 (25-48), everything seems to work much, much better. Any idea what the reason for that could be? I'm only testing with two short-ish jumpers (no more than 6-15 feet long). Could it have something to do with the signal strength coming from the USB to Serial to RJ45 Adapter? Would it be better to run through a USB hub with external power first to make sure the signal is nice and strong? Or does it have something to do with the difference between the SS24 and the TR24? Does the TR24 actually boost your RJ45 signal, but the SS24s do not? I can certainly run it with the 49-72 board first, and then the other two, but I'm just wondering why that is.

Thanks so much! You guys are awesome.
    NO, cable length has nothing to do with it, that TR24 you got from me, was at one point 50 feet away from the Pi i ran it off of. Try running the TY24 off the first SS24 and see what happens, then run it off the second one, there could be an issue with the second SS24.

Post Thanks / Like

there was a concern with some wireless access that after so many pic, the signal would get out of sync. basically it would lose a bit here or there. I thought that was only with wireless because the data signal was not 100% perfect timing and I thought it was only after quite a few pic (10?). your ss24 have 3 pic each, the tr24 has 1 and your source should have pretty good timing but it seems to fit the scenario.
    I wonder if using standard renard eat and pass would work better than start address. 72 bytes of data is not a lot to pass along but why pass it if not needed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12