Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble configuring TR-24 and SS-24s in Vixen...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Having trouble configuring TR-24 and SS-24s in Vixen...

Hoping all you dudes who are smarter than me will bail out this noob again.

I've purchased three used renard controllers--2 SS24s and a TR24. I know the baud rate and start addresses on all units. I'm connecting to the laptop to the boards using a USB to serial dongle with a serial to RJ45 converter (connected blue to t-, blue/white to t+. orange and orange/white to ground). I've been able to get a connection with the TR24 in Vixen after configuring it, at least, the green LED is blinking quickly--almost strobing. So, according to the research I've done, that's good.

But when I run a test sequence after configuring the board, none of the light strands I'm using to test are lighting up. I have a feeling the issue is that I'm not setting up a start address in the configuring stage the way I'm supposed to. I know it discusses that in some of the older Youtube videos I've checked out on the subject, but I'm using Vixen 3, and it it looks very different. I've been through the Wiki as well, and have not found a good, dumbed-down for noobs procedure for properly setting up Renard boards. Like I said, I believe the issue has to do with the starting addresses of the boards, but I'm not finding the proper info online any where.

Also, while I'm getting a blinking green LED on the TR24, I'm getting nothing but a power light when I connect via the RJ45. I've tried changing some of the jumpers on J1/J2, because I believe the previous owner used a straight serial connector, but I'm getting a whole lot of nothing.

Like I said, I'd appreciate any help you all can provide! I've sunk a lot of money into this setup, and I'd hate for it to be wasted due to my pathetic skills. I appreciate it, guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Having trouble configuring TR-24 and SS-24s in Vixen...

did you setup vixen and patch the elements to the controller and set the baud rate for each controller in vixen
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Set the baud rate and did the patching procedure according to what I read and saw on youtube. As I said, I know each board needs to have the start address set in vixen when you patch the board, but I didn't see where to do that in the patching software.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolgrimmy View Post
    Set the baud rate and did the patching procedure according to what I read and saw on youtube. As I said, I know each board needs to have the start address set in vixen when you patch the board, but I didn't see where to do that in the patching software.
    are you connecting 1 board off the other can you take pictures of the boards so I can see your pin settings
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

1st, are you going to daisy chain the controller off of each other so it is something like PC serial dongle -> TR24 -> SS24 -> SS24? Is so you do not need any special start addressing in the firmware just the standard Renard firmware on each controller, by default the controller will consume the data they use and only pass the remaining data to the next.

So that means in Vixen you only need to create one "Renard" Controller of 72 channels, the TR 24 will take in the entire data stream, use the 1st 24 and pass the remaining 48 to the next SS24 that will use the 1st 24 channels it gets (of the 48) and pass the remaining 24 to the final SS24
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm daisy chaining from SS24 (1-24) to SS24 (25-48) to the TR24 (49-72) via RJ45. I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them.

Post Thanks / Like

Total lightbulb moment! That makes a lot of sense. I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how it turns out. Thanks! DG

Post Thanks / Like

OK so you just need to use the standard start address 0 firmware (TR may call it start address 1) on all the PICs
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Think of the start address value this way: How many bytes after the start of the frame should the PIC throw away before keeping data? The number defined in start address.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=kdoyon;480072]Try the Renard tester from Macebobo:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...er-Version-1-0

At least you could get Vixen out of the loop. If it works, then you know the problem is in Vixen. If the problem persists, then you can assume the problem is in configuration or hardware after Vixen.

Ken
    2016 - 72 Renard Channels - Roughly 4,200 Lights - 3 Sequenced Songs

You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ8...yLJieEEwDto7xg

Hoping to add Pixel Arches and Roof Llines in 2018!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast