Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 Port E1.31 Bridge Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 6 Port E1.31 Bridge Kit

look at the f4v3. it is a great controller.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, WOW is that a rip off SanDevices E681 product, manual and firmware?

http://sandevices.com/wp-content/upl...ting_Manual.pd

http://www.ledlightinghut.com/files/...X%20Bridge.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

OK now, that makes a big difference.

You are correct, the first one can take in only 4 DMX universes, but it takes all 4 of them in through the E1.31 port. It breaks the 4 universes into separate outputs. These were "great" back when we went from a single universe down the wire (original DMX specs) to multiple. (Yes - we used to have to run two complete physical circuits from the light board to the different DMX lights back then.) Note that you can set the IP address on each of these, and you can send different universes to each one. The documentation shows you how to assign different universes to each of the outputs. You can put as many of these in the field as you want, each with their own IP and set to receive different DMX universes. These are still really good in situations when you need up to 4 DMX universes (2048 channels) at a single location. Once again, the documentation leads me to believe that only 1 DMX universe can be output on a port at a time.

Now that we have literally hundreds of universes being pushed down a single E1.31 cable, and many props require far more than one, it seems a bit small.

The second one is the one I and others were talking about. The DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridge. It can take in up to 12 universes from the E1.31 source, and put that information out any or all of the outputs.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AJVenti View Post
    I am still trying to get my head straight on this E1.31 to DMX. I did put a display up this past Christmas with a e1.31 bridge with 4 ports. I want to add to my next Christmas display. Looking at this 6 port unit. Can someone tell me if I got this right a port is one universe that can have up to 170 smart pixels or 170 dumb pixel runs. My question is a 6 post unit has 6 universes then, and if so by adding another bridge I will need some kind or switching unit to connect my cat6 to both. If so any suggestions
    Hey Tony

The diyledexpress bridge takes E1.31 data in over ethernet, and parses it out to six serial ports on RJ45 depending on the settings on the internal web page. It's easy enough to set up. Each port can output Renard protocol, DMX protocol, or pixel data. Each port can be configured to any of those three independently of the other.

This is why I prefer this bridge over chinese bridges - the diyuledexpress bridge does all three protocols out of the box, natively, and opens the door for different controllers if you have them or want them in the future.

To run multiple bridges (I have four at this point), you need to plug their ethernet ports into a switch, then that switch into your network. You're effectively extending your network that way. Any 10/100 switch will do, consumer or enterprise grade. Use what you have laying about or get something cheap.

My four sit in a "rack box" on a metal shelf in the box, and the 6 ports each (24 total) are presented to my lawn by a patch panel. This protects the boards, allow them to share a larger 5V power supply, and means all the plug/unplug cycles are going to the patch panel rather than the boards themselves. This makes it easier and protects the plastic jacks from wearing out. Not required at all, just what I did.

Post Thanks / Like

First I would like to Thank all who replied to my Post I learned lot.
    I am going to purchase a another bridge for my shop this time not from China I have read all the posts and was thinking of getting the DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridge it seems to be the one with more flexibility. when I was read the replies Barnabybear mentioned a SanDevices E681( could not find on SanDevice web site did find E682) My last question is should I should I get the DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridge or SanDevice E 682

Again thanks for all the help I don't feel so lost now got some great info

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Please look at the Falcon devices. They have four DMX outputs and 4 - 16 pixel outputs. The config UI is much simpler to use (that is my opinion) and the device is rock solid.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.

Post Thanks / Like

Tony, what is the end result? What are you going to be controlling?
    So far we know you have a bridge and you want another but it is kind of like asking "what boat should I buy?" when we don't know if you want it for fishing on the pond out back or for racing down the intercoastal at drug running speed.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2015 I had a store-bought Christmas light show system that went bad. It basically just turned on and off or faded the lights. As I was looking for a replacement for I came across various websites that showed how to build a similar device using an Arduino and an 8-channel relay board and the Vixen lights software. All looked pretty good I even added an FM transmitter so I could play music. That’s when I caught the bug. The one problem I did have was I had to leave my laptop computer outside.

In 2016 after visiting sites on the Internet about Christmas light shows I decide to build a singing Christmas tree using dumb RGB pixels. Again I use the Arduino and this time 2 8-channel relay board. Again it was a nice show but I was having problems with the mechanical relays so I started to look into solid-state relays and I still had to leave my computer outside.

In 2017 I was looking for a way to keep my computer indoors and I came across a website that said I could use E1.31 protocol to DMX bridge. Which would allow me to put my computer at a greater distance by using a cat 5 cable so I purchased a DMX bridge from China. Also in my searching I found a Renard SS16 control board that I built to handle my incandescent lights and a 30 channel dumb RGB controller also from China for my singing Christmas tree. I also got some smart pixels and put them around my Windows and I also built a small tree using smart LED strips and some inexpensive DMX controllers.

So for 2018 I am hoping to add some more lighting effects using some dumb or smart pixels in place of my incandescent Christmas lights. I am even thinking of adding some more props to my display like a mega tree and more singing elements. So when I started this post to be honest I am not a technical person’s I thought if I wanted to add on to my display I would need a little help with this DMX protocol that I am using. As I looked into it I realized I did not know much about the technical aspect of it. I got my 2017 display to work fine, maybe it was just pure luck. So I guess from looking for is some info on how to expand what I have. I was thinking of just buying another to and E1 .31 to DMX bridge. Then I came across the LED express DMX bridge so I asked what people thought about these two DMX bridges. And how I would add another DMX bridge. I know depending on whether I’m going to use dumb or smart pixels I will have to get control boards to run these and if building something like a mega tree is possible for this year’s display and the cost.

My hope is that in the future I will have all my elements and controllers I need and use a raspberry pi to run my show and not to have to have my computer connected at all. I also am hoping that going this route will allow me to expand if I want to over the years.

Thank you
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Put a Raspberry PI outside and use your computer for something useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Tony, I think the E1.31 Bridge is not a bad choice at all. My show a couple of years ago was completely Renard based. I started adding Pixels to my show but still have props that use Renard. The Bridge is a great way to uses your computers network port, stop using the limits of the serial port or USB to serial converter, have Pixel control and still use your Renard/DMX props. I currently have two E1.31 Bridges in my show. For the 2017 show they were both full. I will be adding a third Bridge for 2018. To do that I have a network switch that connects to my show computer. Then the bridges are also connected to the same network switch. Most of the rest is done through the bridge on-board configuration webpage and your show software. The setup guide for the E1.31 has a good section in it on setting up the configurations of each bridge. The bridges offer you 6 outputs each that can be configured to run Pixel/Renard or DMX. I like that I can have 6 outputs that can run to different areas of my yard. You are in Michigan, not far from Chicago area. Let me know, I can help try to solve your questions.

Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast