Thread: Mega Tree Power?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mega Tree Power?

I ran a quick calculation for my 32x107 Mega Tree but am trying to figure out how to power the F16V3 with the correct amount of power supplies.

In the attached calculation if is saying that I'll need at least 4 power supplies if not more.

I'm pushing 33 amps at 65% power so I would have to drop my brightness down to 50% to be under the amperage threshold to be okay.

How do I power my F16V3 off of more than two power supplies?

Thanks for your guys' help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mega Tree Power?

You Dont. You leave the V+ outputs on the F16V3 "unconnected" and you run V+ from your power supplies to the Strands. I have a similar tree. I drive eight legs from a single power supply. NONE of them get power from the F16. I power the F16 with a higher quality supply that only provides 10A. My tree only uses 4 outputs on the F16 (I only have 16 legs) You can put as many as six legs per F16 output. That means you would get to six outputs. It might be simpler to wire two legs per output for you and use all 16 ports.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 02-28-2018 at 05:08 PM.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

So you are only transmitting data from the F16 to the strands and the power is coming from the power supply and bypassing the F16?

Does this reduce the need to "power inject" since in a way the power is coming straight from the power supply?

Currently my whole setup utilizes power coming through the F16 so this is a new concept for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Not my image.. but this may help..

The key is to make sure all the grounds are tied together.

Post Thanks / Like

That is Power Injecting, you still need to inject every 50/100 pixels depending on your Voltage.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was about to say haha!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightingGURU View Post
    So you are only transmitting data from the F16 to the strands and the power is coming from the power supply and bypassing the F16?

Does this reduce the need to "power inject" since in a way the power is coming straight from the power supply?

Currently my whole setup utilizes power coming through the F16 so this is a new concept for me.
    On a string of 100 pixels, you WILL need to power inject. I inject every 25 pixels (Yes I am over engineered). Most others inject every 50 pixels.

My tree data flow is F16-> to the bottom of a leg-> up the leg -> at the top data and ground go to the next leg -> data goes down the next leg -> for me the data ends but you could go up and down again and stay with in the 600 pixels needed for 25ms refresh rates.

Power (V+ and V-) goes from the PSU to the bottom of each leg. Each leg has a 16awg wire the goes up and injects power every 25 pixels.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    On a string of 100 pixels, you WILL need to power inject. I inject every 25 pixels (Yes I am over engineered). Most others inject every 50 pixels.

My tree data flow is F16-> to the bottom of a leg-> up the leg -> at the top data and ground go to the next leg -> data goes down the next leg -> for me the data ends but you could go up and down again and stay with in the 600 pixels needed for 25ms refresh rates.

Power (V+ and V-) goes from the PSU to the bottom of each leg. Each leg has a 16awg wire the goes up and injects power every 25 pixels.
    Maybe for 5v pixels, but 12v pixels you can easily go well over 100. Especially in a megatree situation where you leads are relatively short, and in this case where they only have 107 pixels, they'll have no problem powering the strings from the bottom of the tree. Even if theyre 20-22 awg pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi to all
    So if you run it that way what kind of wire connections can you use to water proof them or do you use the water proof 2&3 pin wire connections
    KEEP HI AND DRY