Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Renard (ESP-01 wireless) & ESPixel Pop Setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Renard (ESP-01 wireless) & ESPixel Pop Setup

Since there isn't a forum for general setup question and most of my stuff will be Renard I am posting here. I am doing a major upgrade this year. Updating my old Olsen 595's to Renards, ESPixel Pops and WiFi SSR's. Here is what I will have:

1 - Current Renard SS24 (Start Addr: 0, 57600 Baud, ESP-01 w/DIGWDF snapin board)
    1 - Current Renard 48LSD (Start Addr: 0, 57600 Baud, ESP-01 w/DIGWDF snapin board)
    2 - New Renard Plus TR24 (ESP-01 w/DIGWDF snapin board)
    2 - New Four Stick
    9 - New WiFi SSR's
    4 - New ESPixel Pop's

I have ran the Renard SS24 before with XBee's at each end. But what I don't understand is how the baud rate and start address is affected with the ESP's. I have read everything about the pixel pop's and understand how to set those up (in theory, lol).

So here are my questions.

1. Can I just set the start address and baud rate on the new TR24's at 0 & 57600 like the old ones?
    2. Where can I read up about setting up the Ubiquiti Nanostation loco M2 access point?
    3. In Vixen V3 would these all be setup as an Streaming ACN (E1.31)?
    4. The computer just needs a WiFi adapter to connect and send the data out on the network?

I'm sure there are other things that I don't even understand yet but this is a start.

Thanks,
    Dave
    128 Olsen 595 Vixen controlled channels
    about 30,000 lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Renard (ESP-01 wireless) & ESPixel Pop Setup

1) The ESPs outputting Renard protocol data can be viewed as a virtual / Remote USB-to-Serial adapter. All the renards connected to a single USB Serial adapter would have the start address set to zero and the baud rate set to whatever you want. The same is true for the ESP generated Renard data stream. Set your Renards to start address zero and the baud rate to what you need. 57600 is just fine.

2) I do not use it so I cannot help you set up the AP

3) Yes. But, you have options. The SS24 uses only 24 channels. It is a shame to waste the universe for only 24 channels. You could put all of the SS24 data into a single universe and have the ESPs only send the part of the data you need for a given SS24. Alternatively you could have the ESPs all transmit all of the data to the Renards and then change the Renard start address of the SS24s to pick out the channels of interest.

4) that is one option. The show player needs access to the show network. The access point sending data to the ESPs is connected to the show network (it may be the entire network but it does not have to be). The show player SHOULD NOT be connected to the show network via WiFi (you could do it but you will have increased transmission delays). It is recommended that the show player be connected to the show network via a CAT5 cable. The show network could be your home network but this is not recommended unless your home network is lightly loaded.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread to start . Thank you .

I am currently playing with esp modules for other project and discovered this gem very use full .

http://digwdf.com/store/product.php?id_product=199

Combined with this gem and the all available documentation/downloads .

http://digwdf.com/store/product.php?id_product=178

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Great thread to start . Thank you .

I am currently playing with esp modules for other project and discovered this gem very use full .

http://digwdf.com/store/product.php?id_product=199

Combined with this gem and the all available documentation/downloads .

http://digwdf.com/store/product.php?id_product=178
    Yep got both of those and have played with flashing the ESP with it. Havenít got it to connect to an SSID yet but was just trying to connect to our churches WiFi the other night after I soldered up the Flashamater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave
    about 30,000 lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Renard (ESP-01 wireless) & ESPixel Pop Setup

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    1) The ESPs outputting Renard protocol data can be viewed as a virtual / Remote USB-to-Serial adapter. All the renards connected to a single USB Serial adapter would have the start address set to zero and the baud rate set to whatever you want. The same is true for the ESP generated Renard data stream. Set your Renards to start address zero and the baud rate to what you need. 57600 is just fine.

2) I do not use it so I cannot help you set up the AP

3) Yes. But, you have options. The SS24 uses only 24 channels. It is a shame to waste the universe for only 24 channels. You could put all of the SS24 data into a single universe and have the ESPs only send the part of the data you need for a given SS24. Alternatively you could have the ESPs all transmit all of the data to the Renards and then change the Renard start address of the SS24s to pick out the channels of interest.

4) that is one option. The show player needs access to the show network. The access point sending data to the ESPs is connected to the show network (it may be the entire network but it does not have to be). The show player SHOULD NOT be connected to the show network via WiFi (you could do it but you will have increased transmission delays). It is recommended that the show player be connected to the show network via a CAT5 cable. The show network could be your home network but this is not recommended unless your home network is lightly loaded.
    1) ok that’s what I was thinking. I am no where near the max channels for a 57600 Connection.

2) what AP do you use? I am really looking for step by step instructions to set this up. I have never done much with routers except pull them out of the box and connect them to my computer for the home network.

3). Not sure I fully understand this yet. So you are saying that I can’t have them all on one V3 controller and have all the renards and WiFi SSRs patches to it? Then I would have a second co triller for the pixels.

4). Duh yeah of course the AP would be wired to the show computer running Vixen V3. I planned on a separate WiFi from the home network. If I need to get on the show network to set things then I just connect to it rather than the home one right?

Last edited by davdue; 02-22-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: updated #2
    Dave
    about 30,000 lights

Post Thanks / Like

1 & 3) Yes leave all the Renard firmware as start address 0 and your preferred baud rate. Set the ESPs to Multicast, all using the same Universe and then the starting channel on the ESP will be set appropriately to the order you want them setup in Vixen. In Vixen create a single E1.31 controller configured as Multicast and the appropriate Universe for 140 (if my math is right) channels, and patch appropriately

1-24 SS24
    25-72 LSD48
    73-96 TR24 ....

So the ESP start channel for the SS24 is 1, the LSD48 is 25, the TR24 is 73......

4) And yes connect the PC/Pi that is running the show via a wired LAN connection to the Show network.

2) Here is the basic Nanostation setup instructions, there are further tweaking that can be done but my network (w/ about 12 ESP) ran fine on these basic settings

Last edited by Ruppro; 02-22-2018 at 03:55 PM.
    Matt

7. Thanks angus40 thanked for this post
    Likes angus40 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davdue View Post
    1) ok thatís what I was thinking. I am no where near the max channels for a 57600 Connection.

2) what AP do you use? I am really looking for step by step instructions to set this up. I have never done much with routers except pull them out of the box and connect them to my computer for the home network.

3). Not sure I fully understand this yet. So you are saying that I canít have them all on one V3 controller and have all the renards and WiFi SSRs patches to it? Then I would have a second co triller for the pixels.

4). Duh yeah of course the AP would be wired to the show computer running Vixen V3. I planned on a separate WiFi from the home network. If I need to get on the show network to set things then I just connect to it rather than the home one right?

2) I use an EDIMAX. It connects to my home network via a WiFi connection. My show computer is an RPI that connects to the EDIMAX via a wired connection. The EDIMAX supports WiFi bridged mode and creates a 2nd WiFi network on a different channel. The ESPs and other Show WiFi devices sit on that alternate network. I do NOT allow multicast traffic to be sent into my home network by the EDIMAX.

3) I am saying you can. You have the option to have the data for each renard in its own V3 controller (aka universe) OR have all of the channels in one universe. Within this one universe option you have the sub option of having the ESPs only send the subset of channels you want to the renards (all renards us a start address of zero) OR you can have the ESPs send all of the data to all of the renards and have the renards ignore what they dont want to process (set the start address to some value (could be zero)).

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    1 & 3) Yes leave all the Renard firmware as start address 0 and your preferred baud rate. Set the ESPs to Multicast, all using the same Universe and then the starting channel on the ESP will be set appropriately to the order you want them setup in Vixen. In Vixen create a single E1.31 controller configured as Multicast and the appropriate Universe for 140 (if my math is right) channels, and patch appropriately

1-24 SS24
    25-72 LSD48
    73-96 TR24 ....

So the ESP start channel for the SS24 is 1, the LSD48 is 25, the TR24 is 73......

4) And yes connect the PC/Pi that is running the show via a wired LAN connection to the Show network.

2) Here is the basic Nanostation setup instructions, there are further tweaking that can be done but my network (w/ about 12 ESP) ran fine on these basic settings

Thanks, Matt,

Is this the setup for the Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2?

Also Dirknerkle has posted he uses Ubiquiti Edge-X router with a Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2. Do I need both. Exactly what is the Nanostation Loco M2?
    Dave
    about 30,000 lights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davdue View Post
    Thanks, Matt,

Is this the setup for the Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2?

Also Dirknerkle has posted he uses Ubiquiti Edge-X router with a Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2. Do I need both. Exactly what is the Nanostation Loco M2?
    Ah I googled these things and I see the Edge-X is only needed if I need multiple connections to the WiFi. In my case all I need is the computer running Vixen so just the Nanostation will work. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is that it is a directional antenna. I will have ESP's spread out over my yard at about about 60' apart. The street is about 50' from the house so they are on a rectangle 60' W X 50' D. I could mount this from the porch roof and would be in the center of the 60' and 50' from the arches at the street. See picture and Vixen Preview for more info. Ren 48LSD runs the 180o megatree dumb pixels and the right side at the tree in the yard is the other end of the Wifi (60' W) the arches are the other 2 Ren TR24's. The house picture is an old picture before I added the arches but it shows the basic layout of lights.

House.jpg

Vixen Preview.JPG
    Dave
    about 30,000 lights

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast