Thread: Least expensive USB->DMX Adapter?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Least expensive USB->DMX Adapter?

Hi all, i'm looking for the cheapest way to get a full 512ch universe via USB. The device must use a microcontroller (no FTDI RS485 adapters). I realize Arduino is the perfect platform, but I cannot seem to find something? Any hints? I cannot use ethernet due to limitations outside of my control.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Least expensive USB->DMX Adapter?

Have you looked on ali express ?

Ali

Post Thanks / Like

If you search ebay for "enttec dmx" and sort by price then you will find a micro-controller based DMX controller.

There are cheaper alternatives but this is the best option.
    Make sure to stay away from the open DMX versions these are just FTDI USB UARTs.
    There is a do it yourself version as well somewhere depending on how your kit building skills are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Have you looked on ali express ?

Ali
    Yep, that is not microcontroller based, I believe it's based on the anyma design which is just an ftdi chip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rodb View Post
    If you search ebay for "enttec dmx" and sort by price then you will find a micro-controller based DMX controller.

There are cheaper alternatives but this is the best option.
    Make sure to stay away from the open DMX versions these are just FTDI USB UARTs.
    There is a do it yourself version as well somewhere depending on how your kit building skills are.
    I would love a DIY option! Do you know of any off the top of your head that fits the bill? I've seen a lot of art-net based options but very few USB options.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I did see the RPM DMX Dongle, which looks pretty interesting. Is that what the HolidayCoro Actidongle is? The PCB's look identical. Any downsides to this device? I found the SCH and firmware, but it's a little unclear whether it's complete and working, or if there were other updates that were needed (that weren't posted)?

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Holidaycoro actidongle what you are looking for? I have one that I never used that I can get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMCH View Post
    Thanks, I did see the RPM DMX Dongle, which looks pretty interesting. Is that what the HolidayCoro Actidongle is? The PCB's look identical. Any downsides to this device? I found the SCH and firmware, but it's a little unclear whether it's complete and working, or if there were other updates that were needed (that weren't posted)?
    The RPM DMX dongle is a tried and true design.

It's hard to beat the Actidongle price. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a direct implementation of the RPM design.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking to roll my own solution for this project to keep costs down as much as possible. I will have to look at the RPM dongle closer.