Thread: 4 Port Receiver Board and Power

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 Port Receiver Board and Power

In the real world how many pixels are able to be run off a 12V 360W power supply? Not all the lights on, not full intensity, etc... What is the max number of pixels you put on a PSU?

With a 4 port receiver board I'd like to run 1218 pixels over the 4 ports, but even with power injection I'm not sure I can do that without a second power supply. The supply I'm using is a 400W/33 amp supply. Last year when I ran my pixel tree I ran them around 75% brightness so I'm making the assumption that I would run these the same. But being that they are not as dense as a pixel tree, I'm thinking I may have to brighten them up a bit to match...

If I'm thinking correctly 1200 pixels @ 100% should pull 660 Watts or around 330W at 50%... (Are watts a linear drop from 100-50% brightness?) On a 400W supply 80% is 320W. There will be a total of 11 different props using those 1200 pixels so I don't envision all lights on at any given time...

Separate question is how to handle the length of an Eve run. Power injecting is a given considering the number of pixels but the run is over 50' long. So I'll have to use two supplies. I have only used pigtails and prebuilt T's in the past. How do you split out the + with the prebuilt T? Do you disassemble the pigtail on the T?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Whyintheworld; 02-13-2018 at 09:24 PM. Reason: oops, I titled it wrong but I can't edit the title...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 4 Port Receiver Board and Power

I Personally do not design for reduced intensity. I design for full intensity, all on. 1200 x 0.72w == 864w. That is three 400w supplies.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a DLE T, the + is split in the T. So the power injection pig is +, +, and ground.
    Other Ts might be connected and are intended for injection from the same supply. you should tone out your T to verify which pins are connected.

Post Thanks / Like

A while ago I asked the same question and got a lot of conflicting answers, lol. Something I did learn was to look into computer server power supplies. There are tons of them for sale on Ebay and a lots of them are selling for $20 to $40 dollars shipped! The best part is they put out lots more wattage than the standard 12 volt supplies that most people are using which allows you to simply use one to run all of your lights instead of three or four supplies. I am working on a control box right now and have three supplies inside, but I'm thinking of swapping them out to one server power supply. You can find all kinds of different breakout boards that connect to the power supplies to make it easier to hook up. Heres a listing for one to give you an idea of how they work.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/28263526735...84.m1436.l2649

Dale P.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    If you have a DLE T, the + is split in the T. So the power injection pig is +, +, and ground.
    Other Ts might be connected and are intended for injection from the same supply. you should tone out your T to verify which pins are connected.
    All of mine have all three pins wired, so made for same power supply only. That stinks on a long eve run... Live and learn!