Thread: DIY: foam cutter advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY: foam cutter advice

This is a bit unrelated to this particular forum, but does has anyone here built their own nichrome foam cutter?

There's many different DIY designs out there (https://www.google.com.co/search?q=y...hrome&ie=UTF-8), but would like to see if anyone here has any pros/cons or lessons learned when building a cutter/table.
    lightsofnazareth.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DIY: foam cutter advice

What are you going to cut? I prefer a 'bow' for the type of stuff i cut but some people prefer a table set up.

You don't really need to use nichrome wire. Piano wire, guitar strings, steel fishing wire can all be used... again it just depends on what your trying to cut (and cut out)

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to mainly do letter cutouts like this video. I'm thinking up to 2" thick. I'm unclear on what type/density of foam I'd actually be looking to cut. I've just recently started entertaining the idea.

What would be the advantages of using nichrome vs other wire?
    lightsofnazareth.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by txag2008 View Post
    I'd like to mainly do letter cutouts like this video. I'm thinking up to 2" thick. I'm unclear on what type/density of foam I'd actually be looking to cut. I've just recently started entertaining the idea.

What would be the advantages of using nichrome vs other wire?
    Nichrome is specifically used for it's resistance. I don't see how you could use just any wire without blowing up either the wire or power supply you are using. The idea is to get the nichrome wire to heat up instead of your feed wires. I guess if you used really thin wire it would heat before your feed wires. I always have used nichrome.
    Last edited by kk6ou; 02-13-2018 at 06:37 PM.