Thread: LOR User Questions/Advice (AC/Pixel Displays)

Post Thanks / Like

Default LOR User Questions/Advice (AC/Pixel Displays)

Currently I run an AC display that has a total of 64 channels. I am considering adding a good number of pixels to my show for this year. I was wondering if anyone on here using LOR for a mix of AC and Pixel channels? If so do you use the LOR software or do you just use the LOR controllers and then use xlights?

Any pics/videos of displays would also be helpful.

I am weighing my options right now because I would like to keep the display AC and Pixels as I have a lot of blow molds and things that have taken time to acquire and I would rather they not go to waste.

Thanks in advance.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - Hoping For 10,000+ Lights - 4 or 5 Sequenced Songs

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Best Christmas Lights of 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LOR User Questions/Advice (AC/Pixel Displays)

Lots of people who have done that on the official xLights Facebook group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I started with LOR AC controllers several years ago. I added pixels few years ago. I went with Sandevices E682 because I got a good package deal. I set my LOR boxes to DMX mode and bridged one bank of a n E682 to DMX. I had to make DMX to LOR converter cables but that is not hard. Now I use an E1.31 bridge with the LOR boxes in DMX mode. I have never used LOR software for pixels. I use xLights for sequencing and control. xLights is targeted at pixel control but has added better AC control lately.

LOR boxes are solid hardware. LOR software is not free. xLights is free and powerful.

You have LOTS of choices to maintain your AC and add pixels.

The modern centralized pixel controllers are very powerful and can control lots of pixels and bridge to DMX (for LOR control). My Sandevices are early modern pixel controllers and there is nothing wrong with them, however, if I were buying a centralized controller today, I would go with a FalconF16v3 or maybe a Falcon F48 differential controller.

You can also go more distributed and use things Raspberry PiCaps or maybe an E1.31 bridge with pixel extenders or even go with wireless solutions like ESPixel sticks for pixel controllers. I just saw that these that look interesting to make LOR boxes wireless.

4. Likes beeiilll liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 320 channels of LOR that I can use so I to don't want to just toss it and start over but want to add pixels slowly to things (if I can get a display set up again)!

Also with 140+ blow molds and LED props, I will continue with AC control for the foreseeable future as well!

With the advances coming in Xlights for using AC control with it, I am going to try and convert over to using Xlights to sequence and run the shows this year. I did buy an F4V2 from David Pitts last year and a PiCap as well to play with for pixel control. I would say that using a Pi and the FPP software to run things looks like the way to integrate things much easier and with better control for the long run from what I have seen.
    Looks pretty simple to convert the LOR equipment to DMX and run that way although I have seen that there "might" be some trouble with older generation LOR controllers running DMX but I will just have to see once I start working with things. I can't really see any major hurdles though from threads on this forum and others with using LOR controllers with pixels.
    I do see an advantage with going to Xlights and then to using a Pi with FPP for controlling the show over using a computer though. It "looks like" things can be run at higher baud rates out to controllers than the LOR output will allow which "should" reduce lag in the shows. I have seen a lag in my shows using 272 channels so far with straight LOR control so that is another reason I want to switch things as well.
    Finally, it looks like the Falcon line of controllers has all the necessary jumpers and whatever now to make using LOR easier than ever!

My best advice would be to download the Xlights software and learn it first and do whatever it takes to run your LOR controllers with it. Once you get that sorted out, it will be easy to add pixels to your existing setup and continue to grow.
    Watch a few of Clyde's video at Leechburgh Lights and you can see a lot of the conversion from LOR over to Xlights as well. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded xLights awhile ago but never started using it since I had so many sequences in LOR already. Also last year was rougher than normal because I had a baby the beginning of November so from Sept through Nov the wife wasnt feeling the greatest so I couldnt devote a lot of time to sequencing.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - Hoping For 10,000+ Lights - 4 or 5 Sequenced Songs

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Best Christmas Lights of 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you on the time thing !!! I have had xLights downloaded on a couple of machines for months now and have yet to start with it. But I think that once I can get it going and learn enough to get the models for my house set up and my LOR sequences imported, then I will be able to move onto it and keep going.
    Just that first step is always hard to make it seems!