Thread: 5 Point Star point connector Shark Bite 1"

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5 Point Star point connector Shark Bite 1"

Ok, my last star was PVC drilled for WS2811 Pixel Bulbs and a few years old and starting to fail. So....we picked up some 1" shark-bite (the straight stuff, not rolled). It comes in 5 or 10 foot sections @Lowes. I cut them to 4 feet and found the angles that were needed to make the points connect. Turns out it's 36o at the tip. A bit of work on TinkerCad, imported into SketchUp and came up with an end-cap. Use ws2812b strips. There is also a thru hole in each connector so your leads can go thru to the next leg. You could run one continuous strip, but I cut them at 37 pixels and added connectors for each leg of the star (which will help in repairs should they be needed). Here it is along with the STL (zip file) for printing.
    If you make this, the star does not need to be 4' as the angle is the same no matter what size you make it, my wife just wanted a bigger star . Add a little silicone around the caps and it will be waterproof. I did drill a hole in the bottom leg for the connector to my E682. All other connectors I folded over and pushed them behind the strips in each leg.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5 Point Star point connector Shark Bite 1"

Once again, you have nailed it with your 3D design and printing skills.
    Sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akentut View Post
    Ok, my last star was PVC drilled for WS2811 Pixel Bulbs and a few years old and starting to fail. So....we picked up some 1" shark-bite (the straight stuff, not rolled). It comes in 5 or 10 foot sections @Lowes. I cut them to 4 feet and found the angles that were needed to make the points connect. Turns out it's 36o at the tip. A bit of work on TinkerCad, imported into SketchUp and came up with an end-cap. Use ws2812b strips. There is also a thru hole in each connector so your leads can go thru to the next leg. You could run one continuous strip, but I cut them at 37 pixels and added connectors for each leg of the star (which will help in repairs should they be needed). Here it is along with the STL (zip file) for printing.
    If you make this, the star does not need to be 4' as the angle is the same no matter what size you make it, my wife just wanted a bigger star . Add a little silicone around the caps and it will be waterproof. I did drill a hole in the bottom leg for the connector to my E682. All other connectors I folded over and pushed them behind the strips in each leg.