Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Converting to pixels. Can someone recommend a sACN controller?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Converting to pixels. Can someone recommend a sACN controller?

Quote Originally Posted by jaywalk101 View Post
    What about the E682 or E6804? I would still consider these good options. Plus if yoir handy with a soldering iron you can build them yourself and save money.
    Personal Opinion: I have used the SanDevices UI and I have used the Falcon UI. For me, the Falcon UI was much easier to use and did not enforce a bunch of E1.31 Universe thinking when you configure ports. The virtual string feature was a life saver when it comes to tuning my less than optimal fabrication skills. Having E1.31 nonsense relegated to delivering data to the device and then working with absolute channels allowed me to think in terms of my elements as opposed to thinking in terms of the mechanism used to deliver data to the controller. Controller itself is rock solid.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

2. Likes uncledan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the falcon boards came to the scene right when I moved from my last house. They do sound pretty nice. I started out with the E681's with only 680 pixel capability. That wasn't too bad planning and configuring the layout as the universes didn't span the 4 port outputs. But I do agree that the E682 and E6804 can be confusing at first as the Universes could cross over to the 2nd 4 port outputs. It sounds like with the falcon, each output connector has a ton of universes at its disposal. Wish I had a falcon board just to play around with, but I've got like 5-6 E681/E682 boards lying around.. just can't justify it...

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Personal Opinion: I have used the SanDevices UI and I have used the Falcon UI. For me, the Falcon UI was much easier to use and did not enforce a bunch of E1.31 Universe thinking when you configure ports. The virtual string feature was a life saver when it comes to tuning my less than optimal fabrication skills. Having E1.31 nonsense relegated to delivering data to the device and then working with absolute channels allowed me to think in terms of my elements as opposed to thinking in terms of the mechanism used to deliver data to the controller. Controller itself is rock solid.
    [SIZE=3][B]8000 + E1.31 Channels (5x E68x controllers)
    128 Renard Channels[/SIZE][/B]
    sequencing with LightShow Pro 2.8 and/or Vixen 3 (using xLights scheduler)
    2 x Pixel Mega Trees, RGB Pixel Roofline, 2 x RGB Pixel Spinners, 11 x Pixel Bushes, 6 x GECE Icicle Arches, 16 x RGB Mini Trees, 2 x Vertical Pixel Poles,
    12 x 10w RGB Floods, 160 Strobes controlled by Arduino
    [URL="http://www.controlthelights.net"]http://www.controlthelights.net[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Falcon user here. Will be using two F16V3s and possibly an F48 with the diff exp boards, if we do a large-scope matrix (we may have to back off of large matrix due to big $$ for ~9200 pixels, 12 additional PSUs, etc etc.... we have stuff at our house that needs fixed; has higher priority...). David Pitts provides EXCELLENT support of his stuff. There is also a very significant amount of "interoperability" between using Raspberry PI(s) to run your show, the F16s/F4s/Fxx's, and xlights (if you plan to use xlights...). You can set your configurations in xlights once then "push" those configurations over to the PI's and Fxx controllers. Xlights can also push to some other controllers; don't remember which ones offhand. Having the ability to push the configuration to hardware devices is worth its weight in gold in my opinion. Also, there is a really good comparison of numerous pixel controllers at the xlights.org site----https://xlights.org/resources/--about halfway down the page is a "controller comparison"--very nice comparison doc.
    2 F16V3 controllers and 12 power supplies for 9k pixels ?
    Good grief that would be a nightmare of wiring and a burden on your Hydro bill .

You might want to consider the Easylights 16 to cure your whoas !
    I used 1 Easylights 16 pixel controller and 2 powers supplies for a matrix consisting of 8064 pixels .

Post Thanks / Like

how big were your power supplies? or did you run the brightness down at dim?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    2 F16V3 controllers and 12 power supplies for 9k pixels ?
    Good grief that would be a nightmare of wiring and a burden on your Hydro bill .

You might want to consider the Easylights 16 to cure your whoas !
    I used 1 Easylights 16 pixel controller and 2 powers supplies for a matrix consisting of 8064 pixels .
    I used two psus to power close to 10k pixels on my F16v3. This has nothing to do with Falcon. What are the benefits of the Easylights 16 vs F16v3? Not being antagonistic, just curious? You seem to be about the only positive comment I've heard regarding it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    how big were your power supplies? or did you run the brightness down at dim?
    2 x 5v 60a Power Supplies used. Theoretically and mathematically 1 power supply was enough for the 8k pixels using the Easylights output settings of 10 %.

8064 * .06 = 483.84
    * 10% = 48.34 a This measured correctly @ 3a for 504 pixels .

By using the same supply for injection simply could not perform the task , so I used 1 supply for 50% and another for the other 50%.

The end result is that in my opinion, there is no need to run extremely high density pixel props at more than 10 - 20 % provided your controller is fully capable .

For me 48 Universes with a single Easylights controller and 2 power supplies is about as bare bones simple as it can get .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uncledan View Post
    I used two psus to power close to 10k pixels on my F16v3. This has nothing to do with Falcon. What are the benefits of the Easylights 16 vs F16v3? Not being antagonistic, just curious? You seem to be about the only positive comment I've heard regarding it.
    No experience with the Falcon products to answer your question .
    I can only speak from experience which is in using the HinksPix ,Easylights or San Devices pixel controllers.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 1 SD e682 and was going to purchase 2 more to run my 3500 pixels. After reading about the falcon controllers, I'm not sure what direction to go now. Any recommendations/ suggestions welcome. Bare in mind this is my first year doing this and I'm still learning. I plan on adding to my show each year, so next year I know I will have to purchase additional e682's if I go that route.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the set up tutorials for each device and see which one makes more sense to you. Look at the pixels you are using / plan to use and see if the controllers can drive them (no all pixels are equal). Look at the per port capabilities (how many pixels, how much power, how far away). Look at the port density (1,4 16...). Then look at your display, dream a bit about how it will change, think about how you will power your display, decide on your refresh rate, pick a controller that supports your dreams.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI. The Falcon line of controllers are much more robust, have way more features, and the product support is unbeatable. Your decision............

12. Likes TMerk liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast