Thread: Creality CR-10S

Post Thanks / Like

Default Creality CR-10S

I had my heart set on a Prusa Mk3, but after watching and reading the reviews on the Creality I may jump on a CR-10S.
    Just curious if anyone here has one and some insights they would be willing to share?
    Pricewise, a couple hundred in favour of the Creality as well as obvious build volume.
    Auto bed levelling is nifty but not really necessary (used to manual with old Sunhokey).
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Creality CR-10S

Not an expert on 3D printers by any means, but here are a few of my observations on the Creality CR-10S. I ended up purchasing this after breaking my Sunhokey. I purchased it due to the larger bed size which I have used quite a bit. 90% of everything I print is for my Christmas and Halloween decorating. With the CR-10S I have been able to print larger items. I am currently printing a new frame for my Sunhokey. It takes quite a bit of time for the bed to warm up and unless it is enclosed I don't see how it could get to the proper temperature for ABS. I only use PLA so no big deal there. I have tested the resume after power outage and it has only worked once out of three times. The filament out sensor has worked every time. I think the newer ones are coming with larger leveling knobs for the bed, but i printed out larger ones for mine. I don't believe it is any faster that the Sunhokey, but I don't have it to compare. It was very easy to get together. I had it up and running in less than an hour. It was about $400 more than my Sunhokey, but I'd spend the money again. This printer is pretty nice.

3. Thanks DrNeutron thanked for this post
    Likes DrNeutron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwamsley07 View Post
    Not an expert on 3D printers by any means, but here are a few of my observations on the Creality CR-10S. I ended up purchasing this after breaking my Sunhokey. I purchased it due to the larger bed size which I have used quite a bit. 90% of everything I print is for my Christmas and Halloween decorating. With the CR-10S I have been able to print larger items. I am currently printing a new frame for my Sunhokey. It takes quite a bit of time for the bed to warm up and unless it is enclosed I don't see how it could get to the proper temperature for ABS. I only use PLA so no big deal there. I have tested the resume after power outage and it has only worked once out of three times. The filament out sensor has worked every time. I think the newer ones are coming with larger leveling knobs for the bed, but i printed out larger ones for mine. I don't believe it is any faster that the Sunhokey, but I don't have it to compare. It was very easy to get together. I had it up and running in less than an hour. It was about $400 more than my Sunhokey, but I'd spend the money again. This printer is pretty nice.
    Ordered mine today. It is $479 at gearbest right now. I've heard mixed reviews about gearbest but I've had multiple orders in the past from them with no problems. I know someone who has one and he has been very happy with his.

Post Thanks / Like

Its like every printer in that it has its quirks. Ive heard of people having issues with the z motors getting out of sync, I dont know that there is a fix other than rewiring them. The boards have had the costs cut and some of the components are not up to spec, such as using a 100uF cap instead of the spec'd 200uF. This can cause temperature fluctations, although not everyone has noticed this. ABL can be added easily if its something you want down the road. There is a huge support crowd in a couple fb groups, probably moreso than the sunhokey. The cr10s board already has a bootloader on it so modifying or updating firmware is a little easier. The regular cr10 you have to flash a bootloader first, whoch isnt a big deal you just have to have an arduino uno and some cables. I had my mind set on buying some cr10's, I decided I didnt need another large build printer and got the Creality Ender2 instead and it amazes me how well it prints. In the end I dont read a whole lot of bad about the cr10 or cr10s and it seems to be the goto recommended printer when people ask what to buy.

On the other hand, Wanhao has released their D9 printer which is set to compete with the cr10 and offered in the same build sizes. Its a sexy mofo and I am very tempted to pull the trigger on one, but am trying to hold off til some reviews and testing comes out on it.

Final note, the cr10 much like pixels, has delayed shipping right now due to chinese new year, I think even the US suppliers like tinymachines are a couple weeks lead time.

6. Thanks DrNeutron thanked for this post
    Likes DrNeutron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered mine on Sunday from a Canadian supplier and on the main page it was clearly stated that the V2.0 boards have had the capacitor upgraded to a 220uf.
    The fact they clearly state this and that the unit is tested before being shipped out, got my vote and I pulled the plug.
    I am really looking forward to getting the larger size build plate and have so many ideas floating around. I love my Sunhokey and have modded it to death so I needed something else to tinker with....
    I just started converting pictures over to 3D printed lithophanes and man what a trip! they look awesome.
    I am thinking of making some 3D printed Christmas lithophanes for indoors and possibly outdoors. Oh man, Halloween lithophanes would be really cool too.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    I ordered mine on Sunday from a Canadian supplier and on the main page it was clearly stated that the V2.0 boards have had the capacitor upgraded to a 220uf.
    The fact they clearly state this and that the unit is tested before being shipped out, got my vote and I pulled the plug.
    I am really looking forward to getting the larger size build plate and have so many ideas floating around. I love my Sunhokey and have modded it to death so I needed something else to tinker with....
    I just started converting pictures over to 3D printed lithophanes and man what a trip! they look awesome.
    I am thinking of making some 3D printed Christmas lithophanes for indoors and possibly outdoors. Oh man, Halloween lithophanes would be really cool too.
    Can you share the supplier? Spool3d? I was actually just coming in here to post an email I received for a $60 off coupon through Intservo to put the price at $540 shipped

And yeah lithophanes are fun, are you using the 3dprocks website to convert?
    ramon vette.jpg
    Last edited by didjareally; 02-21-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by didjareally View Post
    Can you share the supplier? Spool3d? I was actually just coming in here to post an email I received for a $60 off coupon through Intservo to put the price at $540 shipped

And yeah lithophanes are fun, are you using the 3dprocks website to convert?
    ramon vette.jpg
    Yep it was Spool3D and yes again on the 3dprocks website..LOL
    You are bang on!
    It was $749 cdn + tax and free shipping.
    I didn't want to wait and to tell the truth by the time I add on duties and such, getting it from gearbest or banggood wasn't worth it plus the long wait (even longer since they are on break).
    I already have a few mods in mind, but will have to wait till the CFO calms down before I sneak anything else into the house...
    Phil