Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's New For Your 2018 Display?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's New For Your 2018 Display?

I have two projects in the works. First is to replace my 24 channel wreath with a new pixel design. The new wreath will be a 9 x 36 matrix that is bent into a circle. A 324 pixel matrix pixel wreath. My other project is an upgrade to my marquee. I am planning a three sided, P10 panel cube. It will be a box/cube that is tilted so a left side, right side, and top will be visible. A total of 20 panels will be used. Eights panels for the square top and 6 panels each for the right and left sides. All of the parts just showed up. Will be starting on the very shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on adding power over Ethernet and 1/2 dozen large snowflakes on the roof.

Post Thanks / Like

This year, adding 4 more 50 CCB strings to my previous years 12 string Mega tree, 4 smart RGB arches, approximately 14' in length each, 4 singing light bulbs (Boscoyo studios) using SMART RGB pixel nodes and more strings of LEDs to my trees. Bulb count at this juncture is just over 30K. Also adding 4 new sequences to my library and will sport 13 songs at Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

That’s aggressive

Post Thanks / Like

Converting my bushes from R/G/W LED to pixels - wrapped with the Boscoyo matrix. New mulch border lights and then some copying Jon's design. 36 really big lights - pumpkins for Halloween then switches to the bulbs for Christmas. Changing over my roof/porch gutter lights from R/G/W LEDs (9 sections of 3 channels each) to pixels. My A/C channel count is dropping a bit, about 80 from around 260) for this season as I change out LEDs to pixels but I plan on using those lights in other ways. The pixels and the RBL's will let me get out more in early October since I can have them colored to fit to into Halloween.

Post Thanks / Like

As reported over on the "green site":

Not much new going on this year...

* Upgrading the 30' pixel tree (aircraft cable based strings) from 16 strands to 32. (New controller as well.)
    * Reworking the design on one of the houses ("Mesh House"). Instead of a 6' x 10' footprint, it is now 2' x 10' footprint with a roof mesh that folds down into the body, with side and back walls that swing in to cover the pixels during storage. (No more unwiring, taking the roof and walls apart, and then trying to make them stand in the convex.)
    * Rebuilding/repurposing the other house into an actual greenhouse.
    * Building 3 new matrix units (4' x 8'), to be used as parts of our new "Castle". Planned to be 35' wide, 12' tall, and full of props. Attempting to make it so it also folds up, and stores easily.
    * Refurbishing all (18) controller boxes.
    * Building new 120 volt control centers (SS24s with Edison outlet panels inside Ammo boxes.)
    * Adding 50 new "hoolahoop" (AC - single color) trees to the current 80.
    * Trying to learn all the new stuff in xLights to get the sequencing done.
    * Building (finishing) the park wide communications network, complete with cameras, for use during the show and year round for the Park Board's security needs.
    * And finally (yea - right) learning how to make the new Falcon Player work to our advantage.

Anyone want to help make "hoola-hoop" trees?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to completely redo my display since we bought a new house.

Making new/reworking all my ext cords
    Modifying all my sequences to work with the new house
    Figure out how to mount things to the house itself
    Send off one of my controllers to be repaired
    Completely build out the dedicated electrical grid for my display
    Build a "tune to" sign that has a donation box, letters to Santa box and candy cane holder
    Possibly adding interactive buttons to my "tune to" sign
    Build 4 mini trees
    Build a pixel matrix (might not happen)
    Scratch build a metal frame to cover my driveway with lights (massive project)

PLUS more that I cant think of off the top of my head

ALL while flying under the HOA radar (I am not sure how the HOA will react to the display, but I have my fingers crossed)
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone want to help make "hoola-hoop" trees?
    If you tell us what they are...

Post Thanks / Like

We had James make some toppers, sort of like his top rail toppers, but with just 1/4" holes all the way around and a single one in the middle.
    We attach a 3/4" PVC cap to one side of that topper via the center hole.
    A 1/2" EMT pipe between 3 and 4 1/2 feet tall is used as the center pole.
    A standard hula-hoop is used as the bottom ring for the tree.
    We simply take standard LED (120v) lights and tie wrap them up and down going around the tree.

In the field, we drive a 1/2" rebar into the ground between 9 and 12 inches, leaving 9 to 12 inches above ground. The EMT then goes over the rebar, and the tree is lowered over that.
    The 3/4" PVC cap, attached to the underside of the topper sits nicely on the pole. The trees are allowed to swing in the breeze. We connect AC power to an output on a SS24. With two SS24s being fed from the DMX output of a F16V3, we ended up with 48 small trees surrounding our 30 foot tree on the peninsula (middle of the horseshoe lake) and another group at the exit from the park, fed by another F16V3's DMX output for the PEX tree.

What is really neat is that we lift the whole thing off of the pole and slide it into a contractor's garbage bag for storage. They stack real well.
    The poles and the rebar used for the trees go in a garbage pale next to the stacks of "trees".

It fills a great amount of space for a little bit of money. All trees, being controlled by the two primary props, are in sync with the "Blinky Show" on the other side of the park.

Very simple, and very effective.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12