Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's New For Your 2018 Display?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's New For Your 2018 Display?

What do you plan on adding/changing for your 2018 display?

I am moving into a new house tomorrow so my 2018 display will be completely new, but I am hoping to add 5000-10000 more LEDs and create a few more props.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's New For Your 2018 Display?

I am working on two Singing Snowmen. I am using ADS plastic Coil pipe as a frame for each segment of the snowman. I had Boscoyo make me some 18" round singing faces, and I am using their Pixel Strips to make Spinners for the two lower body segments. I am still working on the details and I am waiting on a quote for some custom coro hats from them as well. I will start a new thread once I am a bit futher along in the design process.
    Last edited by TomL8345; 02-02-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to put pixels on all my natural (real) trees and include them in the sequencing during the show as well as some semi-static display when the songs are not playing. Also going to convert an existing P10 matrix into a P5 matrix.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the new house. No more lights on 16th street? Tom those snowmen sound cool can't wait to see them.

Post Thanks / Like

What's new here is darkness.. No more front yard public display.. gonna be strange for sure..
    Tom, let us know how the snowmen do.. I am about to pack mine up and store em.

Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Semi-darkness. Moving to a new place and I will be in New Zealand for most of the show season. Dont want a complex show looking bad and not be there to fix it. Maybe some minor static stuff to prevent pure darkness.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

7. Likes kevr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New for '18? Hmm, we've already finished all our planned major expansion, but we will add a Grinch inflatable and/or a projector for Grinch images to support our planned sequence addition of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch".

We are also looking into using ESP-enabled WiFi to control parts of the show, including a jump across the street (if my wife allows it...) with a leaping arch, a couple icicles and some snowflakes.

Other than that, this is supposed to be a 'breather' year...

Jimboha
    Springville, Utah

Post Thanks / Like

Adding in 2k more LED string lights, hopefully a couple rope-lit wire structures and a couple pixel-based projects (testing ideas out).

I thought I was all sorts of creative putting a pixel in RBLs controlled by a Particle Photon last year, but this forum showed how much of a Noob I am. Oh well.

Main goal is to keep the kids and wife happy with it for 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 3 projects in the works, and all 3 are spread across my workshop at the moment. ARGH!

Adding a pixel megatree. Believe it or not this will be the first megatree I've had in my show. It'll be 3" spacing, 100px per string, 24 strings, 270(ish) degrees. It will have a 16' diameter at the base and have a lighted height of about 24'.

Adding DIY candy spinners. These basically look like a lollipop with the top divided into six sections and lit from the inside. There's a full build thread here: https://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthr...=candy+spinner

Adding pixel snowfall tubes. The plan is to suspend these in the air above my house. The tubes are a custom design that i had made for me by Ray Wu. They're 32 pixels per meter, double sided with a white rigid PCB, in a clear plastic rigid tube. They have a 4 pin waterproof connector at the top and are designed to work with 3-4-3 tees. I have tubes in both 1 meter and half meter lengths. Control and wiring is still a work in progress.

I've made no commitments to which of these 3 projects will make it into my show for next season, but these are what I have in active development.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dkelly0802 View Post
    Good luck with the new house. No more lights on 16th street? Tom those snowmen sound cool can't wait to see them.
    No more lights on 16th street. Going to change the name but keep the display going.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast