Thread: Looking for ideas+possible new job

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for ideas+possible new job

Hi all so I am trying to get a job at one of our local Christmas light displays. They wanted me to make a short presentation on animated controllers. I have some videos on shows I have done at the home level. Just looking for Ideas on how I should approach the presentation. I kinda want the presentation to blow them away. They have a couple 16 channel LOR controllers but I am hoping to get them to switch to renard for this year unless they want to go the pixel route. Thanks in advance for the ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for ideas+possible new job

That they have a couple LOR controllers doesn't mean they know how to make things work. They may be fishing...

Lots of companies will use an interview to pick a candidate's brain for the "how to" information and once you tell them that, you have no leverage. So if they ask, "How does it all work?" or "How do you do it?" or "What specific equipment does one need to do this? or anything technical about it, that's when you have to answer, "That's what you'd hire me to do because of my experience and my network with others that animate Christmas lights. I'm good at it, damn good."

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The store were you can find blinky-flashy gizmos that you never knew existed!

3. Likes mikel3332 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never knew displays actually hired people from the general public. I just always assumed it was either city employees (who are generally maintenance workers) or a set group of people that did the display year after year (which usually is a volunteer type thing and not a paid job).

Either way good luck with the interview. But as previously stated I wouldn't go in giving up all the information you know, or trying to oversell yourself. If they only have a few AC LOR controllers then I would guess they wont understand in depth talk on RGB/etc.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Post Thanks / Like

You can give them a general description. You have a computer that plays the show and then you have boxes that provide power control. Then describe how it takes experience to determine where the boxes should be mounted and what kind of boxes should be used for any particular element. Dont identify what controllers are in the boxes. You can also mention that power distribution is an ever changing landscape that is driven by the goals of the display.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am currently working on the take down team it is a seasonal position and will probably end the end of February. The main guy wants to get me on the team since I know how to to the animated stuff. They currently do no have anyone that does that. They have a couple controllers but no software and they really do not know how to do the whole animated thing, that's where I come in. I just have to create a 3-5 minute presentation showing what I can do. To show to the main person. I do agree don't give away the technical stuff but just gotta figure out what to put together to show them what I can do.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a picture of an element and animate it using Vixen or xlights. Show them what it could look like. Better than any self aggrandizing. Gives a nice visual for them to chew on.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olingerjccj View Post
    Well I am currently working on the take down team it is a seasonal position and will probably end the end of February. The main guy wants to get me on the team since I know how to to the animated stuff. They currently do no have anyone that does that. They have a couple controllers but no software and they really do not know how to do the whole animated thing, that's where I come in. I just have to create a 3-5 minute presentation showing what I can do. To show to the main person. I do agree don't give away the technical stuff but just gotta figure out what to put together to show them what I can do.
    If you have done a personal display in your yard, or a neighbors show them a video of that...? At risk of giving up a bit of the technical side you could take in a small prop such as a flake, wreath, etc on a controller and show it off right in front of them. Keep the explanation simple, PI here, controller here, power here. If they get to asking the specifics of each just say it has to scale with the show. Nothing like a video of a show and a little hands on demo to wow them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all I listened and just put something basic together. My iPad crashed so I had to use this free program. The banner sucks but oh well. Here is what I gave them.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9IQiRQA4So