Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: DIYledEXPRESS Official 2018 Pre-Sale

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DIYledEXPRESS Official 2018 Pre-Sale

I have read amazing things about the reliability of Ray Wu's pixels. Just wondering if everyone has had the same experience with the lights from DIY LED Express orders. I can't seem to find it anywhere that mentions where they source the lights from on these pre orders. One other question. Has everyone had decent luck with the cheaper power supplies? $15 for a power supply sounds much better when you're buying 4 of them compared to $35 ea for the mean well brand ones. At the cheaper price, I was even planning to order an extra one to have as a spare.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had great reliability with them. Only 2-3 pixels out of a few thousand over several years. I don't really think it's relevant where they're sourced from. You wouldn't know that information regardless of the seller. It's the reseller that's responsible for failures and warranty anyhow. You can tell though that they come from multiple sources and it varies over time. That's true of all suppliers. Even Ray Wu. Many of the products he sells aren't from his own factory.

I've used a mix of PSUs over the years, both meanwell and generics. I've found that if you're responsible with proper loading and proper protection on your circuits, they're all fairly equally reliable for the most part. Though I will say the meanwells are much more predictable over time. You can get datasheets and drawings for them. You can count on the mounting pattern being the same and the physical dimensions to be the same for a given meanwell model. The generics on the other hand have a tendency to have a lot of variance in this regard.

3. Thanks DIYledEXPRESS thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To weigh in on your PS question...I tried a couple of generics, but eventually had to swap them out for MW. Jon's "over time" observation matches mine...my generics started producing less output, while the equivalent MW has been going strong for years. I want to put up my display and not have to worry about it nightly. I get no joy from having to fix stuff in the cold. Strongly recommend MW. Great prices and service @ holiday.lighting.

5. Likes Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Todd
    I just wanted to let you know my strobes came in this morning. I ordered these in the clearance sale back on Thursday and they came at 9am today. The tracker said they wouldn't be here till Monday, but a day sooner is even better. Thanks for getting these out so quickly! I'll probably order more this week.
    Thanks!
    Adam
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNv4__V1LA8

or type Christmas lights in st charles in the youtube search bar.
    Leglamp

7. Thanks DIYledEXPRESS thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leglamp View Post
    Hi Todd
    I just wanted to let you know my strobes came in this morning. I ordered these in the clearance sale back on Thursday and they came at 9am today. The tracker said they wouldn't be here till Monday, but a day sooner is even better. Thanks for getting these out so quickly! I'll probably order more this week.
    Thanks!
    Adam
    Good to hear. It's the little things. We are prepping for the New Year's Sale product to arrive shortly, so to ensure a prompt ship on anything clearance, The sooner the better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camgeer View Post
    I have read amazing things about the reliability of Ray Wu's pixels. Just wondering if everyone has had the same experience with the lights from DIY LED Express orders. I can't seem to find it anywhere that mentions where they source the lights from on these pre orders. One other question. Has everyone had decent luck with the cheaper power supplies? $15 for a power supply sounds much better when you're buying 4 of them compared to $35 ea for the mean well brand ones. At the cheaper price, I was even planning to order an extra one to have as a spare.
    I've had no failures that I can recall from DIYLED's pixels, which for me are a mix of pixabulbs and bullets. Power supplies are a different story. The one that I've used from them smoked and died the first time it was plugged in. They never responded to me when I complained.

10. Thanks DIYledEXPRESS thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    I've had no failures that I can recall from DIYLED's pixels, which for me are a mix of pixabulbs and bullets. Power supplies are a different story. The one that I've used from them smoked and died the first time it was plugged in. They never responded to me when I complained.
    How long ago did this happen? I'd like to try and make it right. Please email us at service@diyledexpress.com with your original order number. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have about 20 of their power supplies with no issues in 2years. Knock on wood.

Post Thanks / Like

I plan to order some WS2811 strings today but have a question on node spacing which looks like 4.2". Is this spacing OK for Megatrees or too much excess wire for the 1" spaced Boscoyo strips? I'm going to use some of these strands for a small mega tree so was just wondering about this before ordering. Thanks!

<edit> Oh duh, I guess you just skip holes for 2" or 3" spacing, etc... I'm having trouble visulizing everything without the stuff in front of me.
    Last edited by harpster; 02-10-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You are on the right track!
    Did you actually measure this at 4.2", or reading the specs?
    There are some that actually have 4" spacing between nodes. Note that 4" wire spacing is not always 4". It sometimes is the size of the wire before they connect the lights, making it around 3.5" usually (from my experience).
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast