Thread: Fading In An Effect

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fading In An Effect

How do I fade in an effect? I can fade in using the morph, but unable to fade an effect in. I'm wanting to fade it in from black, nothing on to fading in an effect. The particular effect I'm trying to fade in is the spiral effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fading In An Effect

Use the intensity curve. You can tailor the rate at which you want the effect to come in and/or go out. That's in Vixen. Not sure about Xlights.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

Simplest way to do it on XLights is by setting the fade in/out time.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's one of the biggest mistake users make with xLights. The altering of effects is not just accomplished on the Effect Settings panel. You have the Layer Settings panel where you can configure how the effect is going to blend into the layers below it as well as all the transitions available to the effect. The default transition is Fade and you just in the fade in/out time. There is also the Layer Style panel where you can radicially change an effects look. It has ability to change render style which creates different buffers based on model type. A different buffer can for instance make an effect run down the pixels as if they were in a straight line instead of how they appear in the model on layout. You can also add rotation, blur, and other motion alterations. And you can limit the effect to a smaller area by using the sub-buffer pane. And almost all these settings have value curve capabilities so they can be configured to change dynamically. There really are a million combinations of what you can do with each effect.
    Thanks,
    Gil Jones
    xLights Developer
    CopperCreekLights on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'll try doing it on the Layer Settings Panel. I've been watching some of the videos on X-Light.org and they've been very helpful. I'm not completely sure of what is meant by several of the terms used, such as rendering, buffers, layers and masks. Is there any specific videos that you would recommend to help me get a better grasp of the effects and how they work? I just finished the 2018 X-Lights Beginner Seminar which is very good and I'm sure I'll be referring back to it often but wondering which video would be a good follow up.

Post Thanks / Like

While they are getting a little old now the aus Christmas lighting videos are the most comprehensive walkthrough done. Everything since then has either been a pay to attend course or a point video on a specific concept or a run through of recent changes.

Other options include the training we hope to hold at the expo in July and the Wednesday night Zoom calls where you can ask anything to a rather large crowd of helpful but hard to keep on topic lighting enthusiasts. Link is on XLights.org. Make sure you have a microphone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keithsw1111 View Post
    Other options include the training we hope to hold at the expo in July and the Wednesday night Zoom calls where you can ask anything to a rather large crowd of helpful but hard to keep on topic lighting enthusiasts.
    OK Keith, are you trying to get the "understatement of the year" award?

The Wednesday night call in is a wonderful resource. Give it a try.
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, thanks all, I'll check it out. If any one else has recommendations, please chime in.