Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tune to Sign,How Many Panels are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tune to Sign,How Many Panels are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    THAT is a lovely sign !
    What is the motivation for moving to P5? Will the P5's appear more 'high def' ?
    I flipped my 3x2 P10 sign (exactly like that video) from P10's to P5's this year. The swap is easy as the P10's are the exact same physical size as the P10's so the existing enclosure could be used without modifications.

The main reason was for the increased definition of fonts, particularly for Halloween. For Halloween, I like to use the fonts that look like blood dripping (Shlop, ) or other (Gypsy Curse) and they never looked good on the P10. With the P5's they looked great. Likewise for script based fonts. I use "Brush Script MT" to put "Happy Holidays!" at Christmas and it didn't look very good on the P10's. With the P10's, I generally ended up sticking with San-serif type fonts (Gil Sans mostly), but the P5's opened up a bunch of options.
    Dan Kulp

2. Likes pixelpuppy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    I flipped my 3x2 P10 sign (exactly like that video) from P10's to P5's this year. The swap is easy as the P10's are the exact same physical size as the P10's so the existing enclosure could be used without modifications.

The main reason was for the increased definition of fonts, particularly for Halloween. For Halloween, I like to use the fonts that look like blood dripping (Shlop, ) or other (Gypsy Curse) and they never looked good on the P10. With the P5's they looked great. Likewise for script based fonts. I use "Brush Script MT" to put "Happy Holidays!" at Christmas and it didn't look very good on the P10's. With the P10's, I generally ended up sticking with San-serif type fonts (Gil Sans mostly), but the P5's opened up a bunch of options.
    Good info.
    Thanks for that.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    Any special insights on using the pi zero vs. a regular pi?
    Using a zero could save a lot of money.
    Did you try using a zero with more than one P5 panel?
    Nothing much, just dedicated the Pi Zero W to running the matrix. Had to solder on the headers and used a beta version of FPP to get the built in wi-fi working. I only had the one panel, but being a P5 64*32, I think that's the same number of leds as 4 P10's.
    2017: bit.ly/2zUzCC9

Post Thanks / Like

My plan is to have a dedicated "Tune To" sign that is darn near copied from CanispaterChristmas on YouTube:

1x2, using 2 sides, for a total of 4 panels. I won't be using a Falcon controller and will hopefully be using a BBB tied to a Pi 3.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123