Thread: Getting ahead from Arduino to PIC Chips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting ahead from Arduino to PIC Chips

Hey folks !!
    I have learnt programming in arduino and want to shift my code to PIC microcontroller(Ex. PIC16f1825) but I am confused whether we can transfer arduino code to a PIC using Export Compiled Binary and then flash the binary in IC through PicFLash

or

is there any another way of doing it ?

Also please guide me with things we have to keep in mind while programming for PIC chips.

Please Help
    Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Getting ahead from Arduino to PIC Chips

No you cannot move the binary from Arduino to PIC 16F1825. The Arduino environment hides a significant amount of work from the developer to make it seem like developmet is easy. This results in a huge image with lots of functinaity that you cannot cram into the 16F1825. You will need to download the PIC toolchain and port your most critical code to the PIC environment. You will need to grab some PIC initialization code and build from there.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

3. Likes toozie21 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do you want to use a PIC?

Post Thanks / Like

PIC is a very general term. There are some very powerful PIC devices. However, the question was about the 16F1825 which is a fairly low end device with limited sped and memory. Some arduino boards use the higher end PIC devices and a simple recompile with the correct support libraries installed would work well.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    PIC is a very general term. There are some very powerful PIC devices. However, the question was about the 16F1825 which is a fairly low end device with limited sped and memory. Some arduino boards use the higher end PIC devices and a simple recompile with the correct support libraries installed would work well.
    Arduino is also used as a very generic term.

I asked 'Why PIC?' because I would not recommend learning to 'code' for the PIC unless there is a specific product you're trying to physicly build that requires one (some Renard controller for example).

If your goal is to learn embedded development I would stick with the chips people are using now and that can offer more available support.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to use PIC because i have succeeded in making a ws2811 dmx controller through arduino and now i want to make a proper circuit board .
    there fore I need PIC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajay1996 View Post
    I want to use PIC because i have succeeded in making a ws2811 dmx controller through arduino and now i want to make a proper circuit board .
    there fore I need PIC
    FYI.. If you plan on using the same code you will need to use an Arduino compatible chip. The code you have written will not work on the PIC.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a big fan of PICs, it is the first micro I learned on. I think you are probably taking the right approach if you are going to spin your own board. I don't know how easily you are going to be able to just convert the code, but maybe you could design a board that mates with an Arduino. It would drive the cost of the board down and keep your code relatively the same. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of a PIC16f1825, use a ATmega328P. It is the pic that drives the Uno and will be compatible with your arduino code.

Post Thanks / Like

The PIC is a very powerful processor and a good one for generating your own PCB boards. I have a few old school DMX boards (64 channels with 4096 levels of dimming per channel) that I designed with it. Powerful processor....

But... You will not be able to carry over your arduino programs.... You are left with one of two options, re-write your code for the PIC, or write it in assembly code (which is what I had to do to get the performance needed for the boards above). Regardless, as a learning experience, I would suggest you do at least one design with it, great learning experience... Just realize though, it is a lot different than the arduino...