Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Null Pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Null Pixels

And just to show you how backwards some of us can be, I do not connect power to my ESPixelSticks via the power connections. I inject power at my first pixel and then back power the ESP from there (backwards through the pixel power output pins).

The big thng here is the ESPixel Sticks remove the need for many wires. The 2nd thing Jon mentioned that is important to note is that when he does have a long wire run he uses an RS485 pixel extender via a CAT5 cable (this falls into my "good cable" and "buffer driver" catagories). There are many ways to skin these cats.

FYI: I rarely load my controllers much beyond 50%. I like to have the option to move to an alternate port if a port dies. If an entire controller dies then I can distribute the load to nearby controllers pretty quickly or replace it entirely. In general, you need to have some sort of a spares strategy. I also keep a spare F16v3 but the temptation to use it is very hard to resist. It would be a shame to have a show go dark because a single controller died.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    And just to show you how backwards some of us can be, I do not connect power to my ESPixelSticks via the power connections. I inject power at my first pixel and then back power the ESP from there (backwards through the pixel power output pins).

The big thng here is the ESPixel Sticks remove the need for many wires. The 2nd thing Jon mentioned that is important to note is that when he does have a long wire run he uses an RS485 pixel extender via a CAT5 cable (this falls into my "good cable" and "buffer driver" catagories). There are many ways to skin these cats.

FYI: I rarely load my controllers much beyond 50%. I like to have the option to move to an alternate port if a port dies. If an entire controller dies then I can distribute the load to nearby controllers pretty quickly or replace it entirely. In general, you need to have some sort of a spares strategy. I also keep a spare F16v3 but the temptation to use it is very hard to resist. It would be a shame to have a show go dark because a single controller died.
    Ah, I initially read the thread as don't need anything to repeat = good. Anything to repeat is bad... I do have the RobG buffer/line driver that I planned on using for my farthest remote props.

There is a LOT of information on these forums for us new guys to digest. I sure appreciate all the info you guys are willing to share and spoon feed me!

Post Thanks / Like

no signal regeneration = great
    Need to regenerate = not so great (bad would be an over-emphasis). Something to avoid through good practises would be a good way to look at it.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whyintheworld View Post
    Ah, I initially read the thread as don't need anything to repeat = good. Anything to repeat is bad... I do have the RobG buffer/line driver that I planned on using for my farthest remote props.

There is a LOT of information on these forums for us new guys to digest. I sure appreciate all the info you guys are willing to share and spoon feed me!
    The way i see it is that any connections in the middle of a wire run are to be avoided. They render that wire specifically dedicated to that use only. (which makes it harder to keep track of things from year to year) They introduce several additional points of potential failure. It makes the wire difficult to lay out, and hide, and pull thru things and coil for storage.

This mindset comes from 20 years working in the installed electronic systems business. I would give you the same rule of thumb recommending you avoid HDMI repeaters, USB repeaters, any midrun splices in Ethernet, etc... Does it work? Yes. But it's generally fraught with more problems over the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

It's fun to read about all the different ways people setup their displays. To me, where you live has a big impact on how you build your display. I live in the Milwaukee area so I have to contend with rain, snow, sleet and wind much like Jon does. So making everything modular makes a lot of sense. I have about a 60' X 80' area to build a display. I change the display each year so having a bunch of controllers in the yard would make things easier. But being very cost conscious as I am, I do try to utilize the least amount of hardware to get the job done. I had 3250 pixels out in the yard this year running off one F16V2R controller (in the house, 7 outputs) and four cat-6 cables going out to the yard. I use two balanced data signals in each cable. I had 4 power supplies out in the yard.
    Using the virtual strings on the controller, allows me to daisy chain the props (which I tend to push the channel count limit). I'll probably re-map my controller in Vixen this year because the channel count is getting a little on the high side (12,000).
    Last edited by RogerH; 01-12-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    It's fun to read about all the different ways people setup their displays. To me, where you live has a big impact on how you build your display. I live in the Milwaukee area so I have to contend with rain, snow, sleet and wind much like Jon does. So making everything modular makes a lot of sense. I have about a 60' X 80' area to build a display. I change the display each year so having a bunch of controllers in the yard would make things easier. But being very cost conscious as I am, I do try to utilize the least amount of hardware to get the job done. I had 3250 pixels out in the yard this year running off one F16V2R controller (in the house, 7 outputs) and four cat-6 cables going out to the yard. I use two balanced data signals in each cable. I had 4 power supplies out in the yard.
    Using the virtual strings on the controller, allows me to daisy chain the props (which I tend to push the channel count limit). I'll probably re-map my controller in Vixen this year because the channel count is getting a little on the high side (12,000).
    Sounds like I need to make a trip up there to see yours next year. Your yard sounds very similar to mine. There's been a few in the Milwaukee area that I've been wanting to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    That link takes me to a "content not available" page

Post Thanks / Like

Try this one "https://www.facebook.com/roger.hallman.5/videos/1775406609165872/" without the quotes

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing. Do you have it set to show to friends only? I just sent a friend request if that was the case

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast