I am trying to get a better understanding of null pixels. I see them referenced a lot but not much on actually using them. I get what they are and their purpose, but I am not sure how to implement them. I see that some controllers have the ability to define them in the controller itself but what if your controller doesn't have that feature? I am not needing null pixels right now, just trying to understand how to use them with the hardware I have now, just in case.

I am using Arduino Unos now and just from playing around with them I know that while these are fun here in the workshop I don't think I want to be using them to run anything in my display. They will work for a small prop I'm sure but anything more than a typical 5m strip and I can see lag. I'll want a dedicated controller for that, but that is a discussion for a later date. I just wanted to clarify what 'controller' I was using for my question.

OK. I'm using Vixen obviously, 3 Arduino Unos and WS2812Bs (30 leds per meter). I have 2 square frames that fit my front windows, each is 30x28 pixels (116 total). I'm thinking if I need to add a null pixel to this string, since I don't have a controller to set it up that I would want to add it as 117 elements in Vixen and then when I create the groups I would start using pixel #2, eg. 2-31, 32-59, 60-89, 90-117. The first pixel wouldn't be in a group and as such should always be in an off state and just pass the data on down the line.

I think this sounds logical but I can't help thinking that what happens if you find you need to add a null pixel... if I set up the display and need to add a null pixel after the fact it seems it would throw off the sequence and I would have to go back and tweak it to accomodate the added element. TBH, even if the controller can define it, I don't understand how that works if you have a different number of elements defined in Vixen than you do with the controller.

Hopefully someone can clear up my confusion?