Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Display across the street

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2nd Display across the street

2016 was my first year and was all AC with LOR controllers - 48 channels. This year I had only 32 AC channels, 16 dumb rgb (LOR) and went 1.31 (Alphapix) for the ribbon tree and pixel tree. For 2018 I have decided to do away with the last 32 AC channels,16 dumb RGB and go all 1.31.

Talking about this with my neighbor across the street, we decided I could run all of my old LOR AC and dumb RGB channels at his house and all my new 1.31 at my house. I like the idea and if I stay with LOR I think I could figure out the ELL solution to make it all work.

The twist for me is that I want to switch to xLights. However, being new to the xLights environment, I don't know where to start on wireless communications across the street. Do I buy a dongle for xlights and try to run the LOR signal over ELLs still? Or won't xLights talk to the LOR controllers/ELLs?

Or even better is there a wireless solution other than ELL's that work well with the xLights environment and would push data out to the LOR boxes either in LOR mode or dmx mode?

Before I knew what equipment to buy for 1.31 I had already bought alphapix 16 controllers. I'm not opposed to buying an additional controller (IE Falcon) if it would help support a wireless solution but as of right now I have enough channels on the Alphapix 16s to run next year. The reason I wouldn't mind if I had to add a controller is that I have 2019 roughly planned out and I'll need another controller by then anyway. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2nd Display across the street

LOR controllers support DMX. You could modify an ESPixelStick to output DMX. You could put a WiFi bridge across the street and attach an E1.31 bridge 6 port bridge to DMX box to drive the controllers, You could put a falcon across the street attached to the media bridge and drive the DMX controllers from that AND be ready to add pixels across the street at the same time.

NOTE: There re some special things you will need to do to get wireless working across the street. Put the WiFi AP as high as you can (Have a mega tree? Perfect place).

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

ESPixelStick outputting DMX or run xLights or the Falcon Player in master mode at your house and run a Remote FPP instance on a Pi across the street. FPP can output the LOR protocol or DMX via a USB serial dongle.

Post Thanks / Like

Good catch. I forgot about remoting the FPP.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used renard controllers with Vixen and this last year Xlights playing back with FPP using XBEE radios. I cover 8 homes adjacent to mine and the bees cover it well.
    PD Shimmers
    Plymouth, MN
    http://www.pdshimmers.com

Ithaca Lane - Plymouth MN
    8 Homes with 58,000 lights
    "One light for each person diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in 2017"

Post Thanks / Like

I use xlights a fpp that outputs e1.31 wireless. I built wireless adapters for all of my ac box's this year. They power off of the 5v and ground in the lor header. I then run Bill's firmware.
    There is also a board that is getting finished up that gets it's power from the rj45.
    https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/naBnZMfX

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMurdoch View Post
    ESPixelStick outputting DMX or run xLights or the Falcon Player in master mode at your house and run a Remote FPP instance on a Pi across the street. FPP can output the LOR protocol or DMX via a USB serial dongle.

I'll have to look into the master/slave option that sounds promising. It is 250-300' distance direct line of site.

Whoops, totally read that wrong about the ESPixelstick! I get it now.
    Last edited by Whyintheworld; 01-12-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaysdisaster View Post
    I use xlights a fpp that outputs e1.31 wireless. I built wireless adapters for all of my ac box's this year. They power off of the 5v and ground in the lor header. I then run Bill's firmware.
    There is also a board that is getting finished up that gets it's power from the rj45.
    https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/naBnZMfX

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Are there other threads on this or where would I learn more?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMurdoch View Post
    Following this it looks like I can do:

xLights Master --> E.131 environment for my house (hardwired) / [WIFI] source for [WIFI] --> Pi3 with FPP --> USB LOR serial adapter --> daisy chain the LOR boxes on the slave side of the street...

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    LOR controllers support DMX. You could modify an ESPixelStick to output DMX. You could put a WiFi bridge across the street and attach an E1.31 bridge 6 port bridge to DMX box to drive the controllers, You could put a falcon across the street attached to the media bridge and drive the DMX controllers from that AND be ready to add pixels across the street at the same time.
    I think I have this concept but wouldn't all that DMX data be troublesome over wifi as opposed to using the FPP just to sync the playback? It would simplify things since I don't currently have the Pi/FPP, but do have a controller that could be put over there that has both 1.31 and dmx outputs. (Alphapix)

Just to be sure would it be [Bridge] --> Alphapix --> DMX output --> LOR box and pixels controller by individual outputs as normal?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    NOTE: There re some special things you will need to do to get wireless working across the street. Put the WiFi AP as high as you can (Have a mega tree? Perfect place).
    I have a ribbon tree where I could put the AP on top of the star so about 20' up... my pixel tree would only put it up around 14-15'

The bridge makes more sense in my mind because of the distance, but not knowing anything about the Pi how do I get around the single ethernet port and still connect to the controllers? Unless the Pi has good enough on-board wifi to just pick up the AP at the 250' distance?

Post Thanks / Like

When you put an AP up on your tree, it sends data to the WiFi media bridge (aka an AP in bridge mode) on the other side of the street. Most such devices have multiple ethernet ports on them. PI goes to one port, other ethernet based controllers on the other ports. Add an ethernet switch if you need more ports.

Depending on the USB WiFi adapter, you could get away without the wifi bridge and just have the PI attach to th AP on your side of the street (I had one high quality PI antenna that went 400' without issues).

In this way the PI gennerates most of the E1.31 taffic on he local wired network and the wireless network is used to keep th PI in sync.

The PI an also output the DMX data needed to control the LOR controllers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast