Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanent portable hole

Post Thanks / Like

Default Permanent portable hole

I've now gone 5 years with the Monkhouse Portable hole.

It has served me well, but time to move up. Or... down, in this case. I'd like to have a permanent cement structure about 6 foot down into the ground which I can just screw a pole into each year.

Obviously I can just extend the Monkhouse flange-based structure 6 feet deep, but I was wondering if there is a better way. I don't want an IMC flange sticking out but rather something that has 4 bolts that I can tie any kind of base into during the season, and then have it under-ground and covered with an irrigation cover for the rest of the year. I know Rohn towers do things like that but I really have no experience with them.

Second to that, I would prefer if it has a base with a counter-balance on the pole, so that I can just tilt the pole over with the star and strands already on it. So something like this:
    tiltB.jpg
    but ... not that exact one since it weighs 450 lbs...

Has anybody done something like this with a MegaTree? Or just general tips with permanent bases? e.g. How do you level a pole in a permanent base? (Washers?)
    2017: 33069 pixels, 24 E682's. 50 A/C with 2 LOR
    2016: 21500 pixels, 24 E682's. 6 A/C with 2 LOR
    2015: 7500 pixels, 11 E682's. 35 A/C with 3 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Permanent portable hole

How tall of a tree?

I simply buried a PVC pipe in concrete, like you would a fence post, 3 feet deep. THAT will never pull out or go sideways. I have a simple screw on cap at ground level. The lawn covers it in short order and sometimes I have to search for it in late fall.
    I've done this at two houses now with equal success.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a couple here. (3 feet into the ground, to get them below frost level and prevent them from being pushed up.)

We put caps on them during the year (keeps them from filling up with gunk from the yard). Knowing where they are when it comes time to put up the display is a plus. Grass spreads out onto them each year.
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly! Just match the plastic pipe inside diameter to your steel pole.
    Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    We have a couple here. (3 feet into the ground, to get them below frost level and prevent them from being pushed up.)

We put caps on them during the year (keeps them from filling up with gunk from the yard). Knowing where they are when it comes time to put up the display is a plus. Grass spreads out onto them each year.

Post Thanks / Like

I posted my mega tree hole a few months ago which has a few pictures of pouring concrete in the ground for a permanent hole. If I remember right I used a 2" PVC pipe in the ground because it fit a 1 1/2" ridged pipe really well. I then welded on an adapter so the 1 1/2" pipe screws onto my 2" ridged pipe for the main mega tree pole. It's very sturdy and I can put a ladder against it even with out the guide wires on it. It worked really well. It's very sturdy, was easy to build and sets up fast. If you ever change your mind just cut off the PVC level with the concrete and cover it with dirt. No one will ever find it unless they want to plant a tree there some day, then it's their problem! LOL.

Im going to use the hole for a temporary flag pole this summer for the forth of July and Memorial day.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...Mega-Tree-Pole

Dale P.
    Last edited by DaleP; 01-08-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. So is this PVC pipe idea effectively just a friction and gravity fit and you drop the Ridged pipe in there?
    2017: 33069 pixels, 24 E682's. 50 A/C with 2 LOR
    2016: 21500 pixels, 24 E682's. 6 A/C with 2 LOR
    2015: 7500 pixels, 11 E682's. 35 A/C with 3 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deonb View Post
    Interesting. So is this PVC pipe idea effectively just a friction and gravity fit and you drop the Ridged pipe in there?
    Yep. Iíve seen many residential flagpoles mounted this way. Including mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly.
    I've done it for years. Works great. Very inexpensive and very secure.
    Quote Originally Posted by deonb View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Frost lines vary from state to state, Michigan is 42", but make sure you hit your frost line depth for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast