Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need opinions on pixels and renard controllers....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need opinions on pixels and renard controllers....

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    You don't need a raspberry pi... You can run everything on your computer like you've been doing.

A Raspberry Pi running FPP removes the need for a dedicated computer. Think of it as an 'enhancement' not a necessity.

I have no idea what you'd need a beagle bone for.
    You are correct. You do not "need" a PI. But you will thank yourself once you are using one.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used my pc to run the show and have never had an issue, as far as renards, i converted them all to wifi this year and they worked flawlessly, not real sure i would " thank myself " for using a pi
    Last edited by mikel3332; 01-13-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    Flash Flash Blink Blink,,Oh What A Relief It Is

Post Thanks / Like

I ran my show from my spare laptop for three seasons then experimented with the PI. I would not go back to the laptop running the show. The PI gives good service with large channel counts. Has a flexible scheduler and most of all, allows me to use my laptop for other more interesting things. This is basically why I use octoprint on a PI to run my 3D printer. My computers are free to do other things and do not have to be "left alone lest a print gets disturbed".

So in the end, this conversation is personal preference. Whatever works best for each of us is what is best for each of us. And as with snowflakes, non of us are the same. That is one of the great things about being a human.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get hung up on the computer hardware. Sure, it's important but it doesn't "make" the show. You could buy an IBM Watson and fill your house with it, but if your sequence timing is off or your audio is scratchy and distorted, or if your sequencing isn't artful to keep the viewer interested, you'll have wasted $3million.

There's a whole lot of "I prefer this" and "I suggest that" in this hobby, and everyone's intentions are good. But you're the one that will have to make it work, so you need to make all those choices yourself.

But let me ask you, do you have a vision of what you want your show to look like? Do you have a picture or sketch of your house with lights colored in here and there, and various props sitting out in the yard, and an idea of the kind of music you might want to use... and perhaps more importantly, the audience you're making your show for? Have a vision. Write it down. Figure out what kind of lights will best display the feeling you want to project to the viewer. Is it color? Is it brightness/intensity? Is it fast animation? Is it a lot of slow and graceful fades from color to color? Is it an "in-your-face" extravaganza? What do you see in your mind's eye? And why are you doing it in the first place?

To a large degree, the hardware purchase decisions will be appropriate for the the kinds of lights you choose to use. Are they A/C lights? LED strings? Perhaps strobes? Maybe some pixels? Maybe some moving displays? A combination of things? Different kinds of lights require different kinds of controls.

The computer, be it a desktop, laptop, Raspberry PI or an IBM Watson, does one thing: it sends the control commands you've designed into your sequence, to your light controllers. That's it. Lots of options for computers, and the one(s) you'll use will have to be able to handle the number of lights and effects you'll have in your show. But wouldn't it be a good idea to first figure out the show and what your needs are before you buy the equipment?

Don't get hung up on the gear.

...just the musings of an old, stick-in-the-mud curmudgeon...

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The store were you can find blinky-flashy gizmos that you never knew existed!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dirk, You are still breathing so you are NOT old. Just well seasoned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Hey Dirk, You are still breathing so you are NOT old. Just well seasoned.
    Interesting choice of words.
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12