Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on pixels and renard controllers....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need opinions on pixels and renard controllers....

Hi everyone,
    I flipped the switches to off today an I'm officially done with lighting the block up for the year!
    As I look to next year I'm making a big jump to pixels....I've started buying ws2811 pixels and I'm going to buy a bunch more. My plan is to have about 10 ren ss24 and about 6 or 8 ren ss16 controllers to light up incandescent lights for a mega tree plus other things I've had already. But this next year I plan on putting pixels outlining my house, driveway, arches, a mega tree and prob a matrix....I'm looking at the falcon F16V3 and expansion boards to control pixels but do I need to buy a rasberry pi and beagle bone black to run my show? I've been reading so much and thought I just needed the falcon f16v3 that would hook directly to my pc and then I can go from the falcon controller to my renard ss controllers.....

From what I've read I'm thinking I'll need a rasberry pi, beagle bone black and can then run the falcon pi player.....my head is spinning and I just need a lil direction!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need opinions on pixels and renard controllers....

You don't need a raspberry pi... You can run everything on your computer like you've been doing.

A Raspberry Pi running FPP removes the need for a dedicated computer. Think of it as an 'enhancement' not a necessity.

I have no idea what you'd need a beagle bone for.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you planning on using the Pi and Beagle bone Black to run your matrix? If so,that's what I do.
    You can also use the pi and use Rons Matrix Pi Adapter to accomplish the same thing.

I have two Raspberry Pis running Falcon Pi Player controlling my show.
    First one runs the show and the second with the BBB runs my matrix.

(1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1)E682
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)E1.31 Bridge
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (12)P10 Panels
    (12)ESPixel Sticks (shelby aka sporadic)

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Xlights
    Falcon Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly what I've been looking in to, is this the easiest way to run a sequenced show and a matrix?

Post Thanks / Like

A Raspberry pi is only like 35. The best thing I did 3 years ago was switch over Raspberry pi and started using Falcon Pi Player my show running's why better than my windows pc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdesign21 View Post
    A Raspberry pi is only like 35. The best thing I did 3 years ago was switch over Raspberry pi and started using Falcon Pi Player my show running's why better than my windows pc.
    And no worries about windows update messing up show....
    LOL
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

For me it was.
    First PI running the show is set for "Master" and the second PI running the matrix is set as "Remote". Then I synced them through the GUI and all was good.

As mentioned you can also use Rons Matrix Adapter that will do the same thing as the BBB. I just didn't have one at the time,so I used the BBB that I had. I have two
    of Rons board waiting to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Juddboz80 View Post
    Exactly what I've been looking in to, is this the easiest way to run a sequenced show and a matrix?
    Last edited by Kev7274; 01-08-2018 at 11:14 AM.

(1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1)E682
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)E1.31 Bridge
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (12)P10 Panels
    (12)ESPixel Sticks (shelby aka sporadic)

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Xlights
    Falcon Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

I took the leap to adding pixels 2 years ago. I started with the E6804 and then added a F16V2. Both of those controllers can output Renard but I use the same serial USB converter from my laptop on my FPP. The most confusing part is setting up the channels in the pi to match Vixen/xlights. My Renards take the first 96 so the pixels start at 97. Then you have the fun of universes. Once you get your brain trained it will all come together. I fought it for a couple of days with the wrong strings lighting in the wrong colors before I figured it out. And if you get stuck post it here. FPP is so much better at running the show than my Laptop.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll give another direction to go when it comes to a mix show. That would be one of both Renard and Pixel elements. I made the jump three years ago and am in the transition of moving more parts of my show from Renard/traditional lights to pixels. I use the DIYLedExpress E1.31 6-port Bridge. I actually use two now. The bridge takes the output from your computer, via the network, and outputs it to up to 6 ports. Each port can be either Renard/DMX/or Pixel output. Using the Pixel extenders, you can use network cables to go from the bridge to where you need to put your pixels. I find it gives me much more flexibility in my layout. I still use a standard computer to drive my show. I can output direct from Vixen without the need to convert the sequences. I also use a radio station software to play Christmas music and play voice-overs the rest of the time when my show is not running. Once I have the system up and running, it runs almost without monitoring. Music plays, it stops, 2 min later my show starts for the night, when it ends, the music starts back up within a couple of mins of the show ending. Easy to do and with one computer. At least that's how I have it kept straight in my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh65 View Post
    I use the DIYLedExpress E1.31 6-port Bridge.
    I also run this way. I have about 25 Renard controllers and a handful of pixel extenders running from 3 Bridges. Easy to configure, bulletproof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast