Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: DIY singing faces

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Western Kentucly
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default DIY singing faces

    Iím going to add a few singing faces to my display for 2018, I was wondering if anyone made there own singing faces out of sheets of Coro. Also wondering if youíve made anything besides trees or light bulbs. I think something like a Darth Vader or Mickey Mouse or something different would be cool. I plan to try a tree and maybe a snowman(I recall seeing a post with a snowman singing face but canít find it now). I will be using regular string led lights to light them by the way.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY singing faces

    I made some out of 1/4 steel rod.. They are 8' tall. went in my 50' redwood trees.. 20170911_165530.jpg

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago - Southwest Suburbs
    Posts
    7,827
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY singing faces

    There's no reason not to do it on your own. All of the commercial kits that everyone seems to use these days originally started with one guy poking holes in coro and then after he got what he liked, copying it over and over to mass produce it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Western Kentucly
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY singing faces

    Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    There's no reason not to do it on your own. All of the commercial kits that everyone seems to use these days originally started with one guy poking holes in coro and then after he got what he liked, copying it over and over to mass produce it.
    Agree, I hate buying something I kno I can make, even if it it cost close to the same or more. I like the pride in my own work, and Iím stubborn.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. Likes dcamron liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ludlow Ma
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY singing faces


    We made all our own Halloween ones


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Family display since 1982
    Plywood cut outs and motorized
    Over 35,000 lights
    New for 2011
    48 channels of LOR (10% complete)
    Roller Coaster (planning stages)
    Patriotic Mega tree (40% complete)
    Multi-animation skating Snoopy (Planning complete)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Lizella, GA
    Posts
    1,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY singing faces

    I made 2 of my own this year, a Snowman and Christmas Tree. The Snowman is 6' 6" tall, The Tree is 5' 9". I used a 4x8 sheets of 4mm coro, first drew them out on brown paper, the attached that to the coro and using an old pencil type soldering iron, made the holes in the coro - the perfect size for mini lights. I used a 1" spacing on the lights, but the singing bulbs I got from James were at 1 1/2" and looked just as good. I may be redoing them this year, mainly because I got the hands for the guitar playing too close together, and to space the lights out to match the singing bulbs.

    Singers5.jpg



    Lipsync courtesy of Popo-B-Trippin
    Matt

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY singing faces

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog87 View Post
    Iím going to add a few singing faces to my display for 2018, I was wondering if anyone made there own singing faces out of sheets of Coro. Also wondering if youíve made anything besides trees or light bulbs. I think something like a Darth Vader or Mickey Mouse or something different would be cool. I plan to try a tree and maybe a snowman(I recall seeing a post with a snowman singing face but canít find it now). I will be using regular string led lights to light them by the way.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't have any photos right now, but last year my wife and I made singing bulbs. We made our own mainly due to liking the mini lights for the facial features, but I wanted pixels for the bulb outline so I can turn them any color & use effects. We used cool white for the eyes/mouth movements and warm white for the bases. They look more like brass that way.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY singing faces

    Quote Originally Posted by scottn3xcc View Post
    I don't have any photos right now, but last year my wife and I made singing bulbs. We made our own mainly due to liking the mini lights for the facial features, but I wanted pixels for the bulb outline so I can turn them any color & use effects. We used cool white for the eyes/mouth movements and warm white for the bases. They look more like brass that way.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Edit: I just happened to think that there are some good photos on our lights page on Facebook. - Zimmerman family lights.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ludlow Ma
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY singing faces

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    I made 2 of my own this year, a Snowman and Christmas Tree. The Snowman is 6' 6" tall, The Tree is 5' 9". I used a 4x8 sheets of 4mm coro, first drew them out on brown paper, the attached that to the coro and using an old pencil type soldering iron, made the holes in the coro - the perfect size for mini lights. I used a 1" spacing on the lights, but the singing bulbs I got from James were at 1 1/2" and looked just as good. I may be redoing them this year, mainly because I got the hands for the guitar playing too close together, and to space the lights out to match the singing bulbs.

    Singers5.jpg



    Lipsync courtesy of Popo-B-Trippin
    Hard to see but to the right of my pixel tree is my guitar playing tree I made a couple years ago, he also sings too. We call him Spruce Springsteen
    https://youtu.be/ETOkk-anz6U


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Family display since 1982
    Plywood cut outs and motorized
    Over 35,000 lights
    New for 2011
    48 channels of LOR (10% complete)
    Roller Coaster (planning stages)
    Patriotic Mega tree (40% complete)
    Multi-animation skating Snoopy (Planning complete)

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY singing faces

    We made our own signing trees as we really disliked anything available for purchase. I bought a sheet of plywood and cur it into four 4 ft x 2 ft pieces. My wife drew the design and then I stacked all four pieces and drilled holes for the lights.

    Here is a (terrible) video from the local newspaper that shows them: http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/multi...3e0ff1776.html

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •