Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY singing faces

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY singing faces

Iím going to add a few singing faces to my display for 2018, I was wondering if anyone made there own singing faces out of sheets of Coro. Also wondering if youíve made anything besides trees or light bulbs. I think something like a Darth Vader or Mickey Mouse or something different would be cool. I plan to try a tree and maybe a snowman(I recall seeing a post with a snowman singing face but canít find it now). I will be using regular string led lights to light them by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DIY singing faces

I made some out of 1/4 steel rod.. They are 8' tall. went in my 50' redwood trees.. 20170911_165530.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

There's no reason not to do it on your own. All of the commercial kits that everyone seems to use these days originally started with one guy poking holes in coro and then after he got what he liked, copying it over and over to mass produce it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    There's no reason not to do it on your own. All of the commercial kits that everyone seems to use these days originally started with one guy poking holes in coro and then after he got what he liked, copying it over and over to mass produce it.
    Agree, I hate buying something I kno I can make, even if it it cost close to the same or more. I like the pride in my own work, and Iím stubborn.

5. Likes dcamron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We made all our own Halloween ones

Family display since 1982
    Plywood cut outs and motorized
    Over 35,000 lights
    New for 2011
    48 channels of LOR (10% complete)
    Roller Coaster (planning stages)
    Patriotic Mega tree (40% complete)
    Multi-animation skating Snoopy (Planning complete)

Post Thanks / Like

I made 2 of my own this year, a Snowman and Christmas Tree. The Snowman is 6' 6" tall, The Tree is 5' 9". I used a 4x8 sheets of 4mm coro, first drew them out on brown paper, the attached that to the coro and using an old pencil type soldering iron, made the holes in the coro - the perfect size for mini lights. I used a 1" spacing on the lights, but the singing bulbs I got from James were at 1 1/2" and looked just as good. I may be redoing them this year, mainly because I got the hands for the guitar playing too close together, and to space the lights out to match the singing bulbs.

Singers5.jpg

Lipsync courtesy of Popo-B-Trippin
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog87 View Post
    Iím going to add a few singing faces to my display for 2018, I was wondering if anyone made there own singing faces out of sheets of Coro. Also wondering if youíve made anything besides trees or light bulbs. I think something like a Darth Vader or Mickey Mouse or something different would be cool. I plan to try a tree and maybe a snowman(I recall seeing a post with a snowman singing face but canít find it now). I will be using regular string led lights to light them by the way.

I don't have any photos right now, but last year my wife and I made singing bulbs. We made our own mainly due to liking the mini lights for the facial features, but I wanted pixels for the bulb outline so I can turn them any color & use effects. We used cool white for the eyes/mouth movements and warm white for the bases. They look more like brass that way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scottn3xcc View Post
    I don't have any photos right now, but last year my wife and I made singing bulbs. We made our own mainly due to liking the mini lights for the facial features, but I wanted pixels for the bulb outline so I can turn them any color & use effects. We used cool white for the eyes/mouth movements and warm white for the bases. They look more like brass that way.

Edit: I just happened to think that there are some good photos on our lights page on Facebook. - Zimmerman family lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    I made 2 of my own this year, a Snowman and Christmas Tree. The Snowman is 6' 6" tall, The Tree is 5' 9". I used a 4x8 sheets of 4mm coro, first drew them out on brown paper, the attached that to the coro and using an old pencil type soldering iron, made the holes in the coro - the perfect size for mini lights. I used a 1" spacing on the lights, but the singing bulbs I got from James were at 1 1/2" and looked just as good. I may be redoing them this year, mainly because I got the hands for the guitar playing too close together, and to space the lights out to match the singing bulbs.

Singers5.jpg

Lipsync courtesy of Popo-B-Trippin
    Hard to see but to the right of my pixel tree is my guitar playing tree I made a couple years ago, he also sings too. We call him Spruce Springsteen
    https://youtu.be/ETOkk-anz6U

Family display since 1982
    Plywood cut outs and motorized
    Over 35,000 lights
    New for 2011
    48 channels of LOR (10% complete)
    Roller Coaster (planning stages)
    Patriotic Mega tree (40% complete)
    Multi-animation skating Snoopy (Planning complete)

Post Thanks / Like

We made our own signing trees as we really disliked anything available for purchase. I bought a sheet of plywood and cur it into four 4 ft x 2 ft pieces. My wife drew the design and then I stacked all four pieces and drilled holes for the lights.

Here is a (terrible) video from the local newspaper that shows them: http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/multi...3e0ff1776.html

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast