Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY singing faces

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DIY singing faces

Quote Originally Posted by Dkelly0802 View Post
    Nice job everyone. What does everyone like incans or pixels?
    I personally like mini lights, feel like pixels are kind of a waste unless your changing colors
    Family display since 1982
    Plywood cut outs and motorized
    Over 35,000 lights
    New for 2011
    48 channels of LOR (10% complete)
    Roller Coaster (planning stages)
    Patriotic Mega tree (40% complete)
    Multi-animation skating Snoopy (Planning complete)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks View Post
    Matt, those guys turned out really well. I remember chatting with you about them when you were stenciling them out on brown paper last summer. You mentioned you did them with mini lights- are those incans, or LEDs? Only reason I ask is they don't look very bright if they are LED mini light strings. Or does the video just not do it justice?

You mentioned the hands on the snowman- I didn't see any animation there. If you re-do him, any thoughts on making two positions on the right hand for a strumming effect? Looking more closely I was able to count 8 channels. 1 for the total outline, 2 for the eyes, and 5 for the mouth positions. 8 channel boundaries per model work well on the AC controllers obviously, so doing that would require losing one of the mouth positions to gain the strumming effect, which in my opinion would be more noticeable. If you look at the Boscoyo singing tree, it only has 4 mouth positions and it's hard to notice the difference (in action) unless you are specifically looking for it.

Overall well-executed though. I had a similar idea on the back-burner this past year. You may just have re-ignited that fire.
    Really poor video, Check these out

They are incans w/ 2 exceptions, for the Guitar I used blue incans but they were to dark to see from the street so I used some blue LEDs but then they were so bright I had to run them @ 50% intensity. Then when making the Bulbs I also use the blue LEDs, got some red to swap out on the 2nd bulb, just did not get around to doing it during the season.

Yes the snowman does play (you can see it in the videos linked above,) 3 positions for the strumming hand and 2 for the Cord hand for a total of 13 channels, and because I was running the LEDs at a lower intensity they had to have a separate channel (same for the blue bulb) for a total of 14 Channels for the Snowman. But yes for a typical singing face, you use 8 channels

I too prefer incans, you could go dumb RGB but it would be easier and maybe cheaper to just go pixel at that point. And one advantage if you did use pixels, besides the obvious mouth positions/shapes you can map different subsets and add a couple extra shapes.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

We made our own for Halloween. I'd have to look for videos. All were done on a 4x4 foot coro piece. Made a clown, Dracula, witch and Frankenstein.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    I made some out of 1/4 steel rod.. They are 8' tall. went in my 50' redwood trees.. Attachment 39096
    Excellent look, you have some mad skills. Wish I knew how to weld.

Post Thanks / Like

I am totally new to this, and maybe started with a project that was too big, as I just don't know what I am doing. I cut 4 the holes for 4 light bulbs into the coro. I originally was going to use colored LEDs and arduino to run it, but have run into the big problem of the number of LEDs and not being able to cut them (easily anyway)
    So, I am switching to LED nodes. The question I have is how to wire them. I am still a lot confused about universes, but will ask that in another place. For now, do I wire all the nodes in one light bulb together, (200 nodes) I have no problem injecting power to make it work. Or do I wire the nodes from 2 bulbs together, all 4 bulbs?????

Thanks
    Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you mean by "bulbs". Do you mean large props in the shape of a light bulb? I assume you are going to use pixels. All of the pixels can be in a single string (up to 600 pixels). You would not want to permanently wire each prop together because that makes storage difficult and assumes you will never change the space between them. To make grouping simpler, wire the pixels in a prop base as one continuous string, then extend the string to the prop outline. Repeat for each prop. On each prop have the ability to forward data to another prop. That way you can use them in any order. How often you inject power depends on the voltage used to drive the pixels and the quality of wire between the pixels. I use 5v pixels and inject every 25 pixels (this is over engineered). Most people inject every 50 pixels for 5v pixels and every 100 pixels for 12v pixels. If your props have 50 pixels on each prop then I would inject at every prop.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Martin,

I have 4 light bulb singing faces on a single sheet of 4X8 coro with a 2X4 frame supporting it. I was going to inject power every 5 bulbs or so, as I am using 5v.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to inject every 50 pixels.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me...I would treat each bulb as a single prop adding connectors on both ends. That will make it easy to attach to a controller and flexible enough to accommodate future changes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    If it were me...I would treat each bulb as a single prop adding connectors on both ends. That will make it easy to attach to a controller and flexible enough to accommodate future changes
    Thanks, i will wire them that way tomorrow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast