Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Falcon F16V3 + Expansion card + four x F8 Distro board enclosure builds

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Falcon F16V3 + Expansion card + four x F8 Distro board enclosure builds

So, this year, I wanted to add two new Falcon F16V3 controllers with expansion cards to our arsenal. For 2016, I built five enclosures with F16V2's plus the expansion card plus four F8 Distro boards and I used Lowes Zerust tool boxes for those builds (DIY Christas link below). Although I was very happy with those enclosures and the amount of room they provide, I love to change things up all the time. I saw someone reference the MTM Ammo Crates at a local Mini in Orlando and then went and watched Clyde Lindsey's video on how he used the MTM Ammo Crate and my mind was made up. I didn't like everything that Clyde did so I made some changes. I definitely love these cases and for $20, I don't think they can be beat.

Our Lowes Zerust tool box F16V2 + Expansion + four x F8 Distro builds from 2016:
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ght=controller

Clyde Lindsey Ammo Crate build (this is video 1 of 3 and YouTube will take care of the rest for you):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqZ5CMAhgW4

Amazon link to MTM Ammo Crate:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T4XL4HM/

Ok, so, I am a 5 volt pixel guy and for the most part, I run 100 pixels per output from all my controllers. What that means is that, for a F16V3 + Expansion controller build, I need 32 cables coming out with data + power and then I need another 32 cables coming out of the case for power injection. I typically connect data + power to pixel #1 and then power injection only at pixel #100. Because I am a 5V guy that is only pushing 3200 pixels out of one of these, that also means that I only need two x 350W power supplies. Obviously four power supplies fit (from Clyde's video) but it becomes a bit tighter in the case.

So, ever since meeting stallionent (Dave), I have become a huge fan of 1/8" black plastic ABS sheet from eBay (link below). The stuff is cheap, sturdy, and easy to machine.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-ABS-P...AAAOSwNgxWC~Lg

I use the black ABS sheet for all of my controller mounts and as you can see in the first picture, I used it to create two levels in the ammo crate. I created the stand-off using 3/8-16 bolts and couplers / nuts, etc. The reason for the the threaded couplers is so that, when I open the case, I can simply remove the four bolts from the top and separate the power supply shelf from the bottom shelf and stand-off. This is shown more clearly in the second picture (one crate has the shelf in place and one has the shelf flipped over onto the lid so that I can work on the contents). The two shelves and the spacing in between allows plenty of room for air to move around and also for cables to escape out the sides of the ammo crate. M3 nylon stand-offs are used to mount all the cards to the black ABS sheet. The third picture below shows the cable gland arrangement that I chose. In the past, I have gone with fewer glands that are larger (16 pigtails exiting out of a NPT 1-1/4 cable gland), but for the ammo crate, I chose to go with 8 pigtails exiting out of an M32x1.5 cable gland. The cable glands are oriented such that, the right four glands are for the main F16V3 card and power injection, and then the left four glands are for the expansion and all the power injection pigtails. Also seen in the picture is a smaller gland for the power cable and an RJ-45 feed through. The RJ-45 feed through comes from Ray Wu and the smaller cable gland depends on the diameter of your power cable. I think I used a PG11, but YMMV.

The fourth picture below shows the positions for my exhaust ports. They are the Bud Industries exhausts (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L3QTZRY/) and I used Sunon 60mm fans. As you can see, obviously the exhaust in the top left corner of the case doesn't have a fan... the fan is in the bottom right. The fifth picture below shows how it squeezes in near the stand-off bolt. The sixth picture shows what the wiring looks like once all of the pigtails are connected and all the power cords are connected from the power supplies to the respective cards. I use 12 AWG stranded power cord to connect power supply to card. I use Ray Wu pigtails. All power lines running from the power supply to the respective cards are fused using heavy duty automotive in-line fuse holders with a 30A fuses,
    as shown in the seventh picture below (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DYPY0E4/). The eighth image is just another view of the enclosure, same with the ninth and tenth images.

If I think of anything else, I will add it later... thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks kevr, FIRECOP252, RWS92 thanked for this post
    Likes RWS92 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Falcon F16V3 + Expansion card + four x F8 Distro board enclosure builds

Additional pictures.

4. Likes kevr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Falcon F16V3 + Expansion card + four x F8 Distro board enclosure builds

Finished & closed up view.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this wealth of great info! I'm about to build my first Pixel control box and love getting inspiration from other peoples ideas.

I'm just about to pull the trigger and buy a 22" Ridged tool box. Ether this one, or the next size larger.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2...2571/205440492

I live in Wisconsin so heat isn't an issue, but I'm guessing I still need to ventilate it because of the heat that the power supplies create? Most of December was below freezing here.

Thanks again for posting all the pictures, Dale P.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy these builds. Working on a ammo crate myself, but everything is over on the Facebook Holiday Think tank. Mounting my supplies to the lid and I don't want a shelf to have to deal with at all and wanted my boards on the bottom not sitting over the supplies.

Do like some of your larger glands, I bought the individual ones off Amazon, but not sure I want to put 32+ holes in, some grouping like you did of 8,8,8,8 might be better.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my F16v3 in an ammo crate that runs my 24 string megatree. I also used ABS to mount the server supply and the controller. The pi is used as a bridge since the wireless update for the F16 did not become public this year. Completely waterproof through several big rainstorms.
    f16v3.jpg

9. Likes kevr, FIRECOP252 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got home with the larger 22" Ridged tool box andI already hate it. The top of the box is so bowed in that the rubber seal is falling out. Guess I should have looked at it better in the store.

It's also lacking in large flat areas to mount cable glands and I would have to split them up to two different areas. This box is going back and I'm going to order an ammo box. I'm thinking of gluing 1/2" plywood to the bottom with construction adhesive and painting it black. Then I will have something to screw my components into.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the same ammo crate,found it at Rural King. Plan on doing a build sometime later.
    Last edited by Kev7274; 01-06-2018 at 01:37 PM.

(1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1) Falcon F16V3
    (1)E682
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)E1.31 Bridge
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Falcon Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Some gun shops will carry the Ammo crates or in my case we have an Academy Sports store that has them in stock. A little cheaper from Amazon, but if you want to see one in person first or just buy locally.....
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arw01 View Post
    Enjoy these builds. Working on a ammo crate myself, but everything is over on the Facebook Holiday Think tank. Mounting my supplies to the lid and I don't want a shelf to have to deal with at all and wanted my boards on the bottom not sitting over the supplies.

Do like some of your larger glands, I bought the individual ones off Amazon, but not sure I want to put 32+ holes in, some grouping like you did of 8,8,8,8 might be better.
    To me, the thought of putting 32 (or in my case 64) holes in a case is just batty... I'm not really sure why people do it. By the time you buy 32 PG9 glands or whatever size that is, it is about the same cost as four of the glands I bought and it is fewer holes to drill...

How did you attach your power supplies to your lid? I couldn't really come up with anything that I liked so that is why I did the shelf.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast