Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spiral mini-trees, strips or nodes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spiral mini-trees, strips or nodes

I bought 12 spiral mini-trees (see picture or this link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Holiday-T...-Pack/12080735 ) to replace my mini-trees that use incandescent minis. Iíll replace the bulbs on these with pixels. Theyíre 3 and 4 ft tall; so viewers will still be able to see over and through them, as they sit in front of the other props.

My initial thought is theyíd look best with pixel strips; however people seem to have more problems with strips than pixel nodes. I donít understand why; maybe because I havenít used any strips? The leds are encased in heavy plastic sleeve or tube, only the two ends are open. Unless they arenít sealing the ends, what else could cause problems? Condensation?

One advantage with strips is that the pixels would align on each mini-tree. If I use nodes, it would be difficult to make the spacing the same.

I know others have used this type of spiral tree with pixels. What did you use and are you happy with your choice. Any video, Iíd appreciate seeing it.

So strips or nodes? If nodes, flat back or bullet style?

Oh, has anyone opened up these stars and put pixels in them? Can they be opened or are they glued together? I havenít tried yet, so Iím a bit premature in asking. Hoped someone could save me the time, breaking one probably, and have a hint on how to open them up.

Tks!!!!
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spiral mini-trees, strips or nodes

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyelights View Post
    I bought 12 spiral mini-trees (see picture or this link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Holiday-T...-Pack/12080735 ) to replace my mini-trees that use incandescent minis. Iíll replace the bulbs on these with pixels. Theyíre 3 and 4 ft tall; so viewers will still be able to see over and through them, as they sit in front of the other props.

My initial thought is theyíd look best with pixel strips; however people seem to have more problems with strips than pixel nodes. I donít understand why; maybe because I havenít used any strips? The leds are encased in heavy plastic sleeve or tube, only the two ends are open. Unless they arenít sealing the ends, what else could cause problems? Condensation?

One advantage with strips is that the pixels would align on each mini-tree. If I use nodes, it would be difficult to make the spacing the same.

I know others have used this type of spiral tree with pixels. What did you use and are you happy with your choice. Any video, Iíd appreciate seeing it.

So strips or nodes? If nodes, flat back or bullet style?

Oh, has anyone opened up these stars and put pixels in them? Can they be opened or are they glued together? I havenít tried yet, so Iím a bit premature in asking. Hoped someone could save me the time, breaking one probably, and have a hint on how to open them up.

Tks!!!!
    Joe
    My spiral trees are made from those. I use standard bullets

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bwinter; 01-05-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post

That was a fun sequence to watch. Well done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pburton View Post
    That was a fun sequence to watch. Well done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree - very cool! I just bought some of these for next year; looks like it will be fun to come up with effects for them.

Post Thanks / Like

You got a night pic of those, i like that idea.

Edit: Nevermind, juts saw the video, ,thats sick.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip just got last 3 on sale 50percent off Walmart .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Great sequence!! How many pixels on large tree and how many pixels on small tree??

Thanks.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    Great sequence!! How many pixels on large tree and how many pixels on small tree??

Thanks.
    I saw his at 2 pixel per section so I counted on small tree with star looks like around 37 sections plus star. 74 pixels plus whatever fit into star.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post

Thanks.
    55 sections best I could count for large tree so about 110 pixels plus star

Post Thanks / Like

Which sequencer are you using? And how do you model them? I have purchased the remaining 4 sets from my local Wallyworld.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast