Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Mounting a big (56 panels) P10 Matrix to windows

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Mounting a big (56 panels) P10 Matrix to windows

    Hey guys, I searched and see a lot of frames built for guys that do P10 panels into a big screen.

    I want to do a 80"x60" (rough estimate, give or take a few inches), a quick measurement I figured I need 56 panels, 7 panels wide by 8 tall. Anyway, I bought all the panels and the boscoyostudio mounts to get it all together but whats the safest,lightest way to make a frame that I can put over a 2nd story bedroom window?

    I got the mounts that have all the holes along the out side to build a frame with maybe 1x4 or 1x3 strips? can decide the best rout to go along with having to protect it from rain which I figured I would wrap it in clear vinyl or something. was debating putting heavy duty hook eyes in the beams above the windows and hooks on the 1x3's attache to the panel and then hanging the full screen kind of like a picture on a wall

    thanks for any info!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    734
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Mounting a big (56 panels) P10 Matrix to windows

    I built a 30 panel P10 matrix and it gets heavy very quickly. I used 1X3 to build the frame, Coro as a back panel and heavy clear vinyl for the front - to help keep the weight down.

    Cant imagine how heavy yours will be especially if you have to lift it much off the ground to the windows.
    Last edited by covewi; 01-02-2018 at 03:28 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,757
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Mounting a big (56 panels) P10 Matrix to windows

    Weight can easily become an issue when building a matrix out of panels. Consider carefully how big you want it based on how you can raise it in to place and support it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Mounting a big (56 panels) P10 Matrix to windows

    Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 11.38.51 AM.png

    i was thinking heavy duty hook and eye system on each top corner of the windows as you can see by the red circles in the pic

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Mounting a big (56 panels) P10 Matrix to windows

    How much does each P10 with a frame weigh?? Been thinking about doing a smaller setup of them for a message scroller about the current amount of donations received and the charity it's going to and put it above the donation box.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,757
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Mounting a big (56 panels) P10 Matrix to windows

    Here is another product you may want to consider (if you haven't seen it yet). This material comes in a 4' x 8' sheet, with holes cut out so you can still see thru it, and holes punched to accept 12mm Pixels. This would be much lighter than a large matrix of panels and give a similar look (though not as dense), but you could still see out of your window.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Mounting a big (56 panels) P10 Matrix to windows

    Quote Originally Posted by rstehle View Post
    Here is another product you may want to consider (if you haven't seen it yet). This material comes in a 4' x 8' sheet, with holes cut out so you can still see thru it, and holes punched to accept 12mm Pixels. This would be much lighter than a large matrix of panels and give a similar look (though not as dense), but you could still see out of your window.
    i think price wise, it's not a huge difference the matrix panel over the p10. but setup wise the matrix panel will be easier. its alot of pixel pushing but i think this is route i am going this year. wish my fingers luck.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Mounting a big (56 panels) P10 Matrix to windows

    Quote Originally Posted by lostbucket View Post
    How much does each P10 with a frame weigh?? Been thinking about doing a smaller setup of them for a message scroller about the current amount of donations received and the charity it's going to and put it above the donation box.
    not sure yet, the panels are so light, it will probably weigh near 15-20 pounds with 40-50 panels in it, all depends on the material you use to build the frame

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Mounting a big (56 panels) P10 Matrix to windows

    Quote Originally Posted by rdj6107 View Post
    i think price wise, it's not a huge difference the matrix panel over the p10. but setup wise the matrix panel will be easier. its alot of pixel pushing but i think this is route i am going this year. wish my fingers luck.

    thank you, I use the nets now for the Tune To signs but I want something more that I can do video on which the P10 panels seem to display much better being the pixels are much closer together

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,757
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Mounting a big (56 panels) P10 Matrix to windows

    Quote Originally Posted by brichi View Post
    not sure yet, the panels are so light, it will probably weigh near 15-20 pounds with 40-50 panels in it, all depends on the material you use to build the frame
    IMO you are WAY underestimating the weight. Don't forget, you have the panels, the supports, the power supply, the cables, the enclosure.................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •