Thread: Trying to turn on and off a simple plug-in projector light.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trying to turn on and off a simple plug-in projector light.

I am brand new to this... I have one nativity scene projector light and this 3 channel relay: https://www.amazon.com/Channel-DMX51...nnel+dmx+relay
    71NCCA51pjL._SL1500_.jpg
    How do I connect it to my e682 controller using xlights? Is it even possible? The e682 cables are for 12v, data, and ground. The DMX-512 relay board has D+, D-, and ground. Do I have the wrong relay board? Thanks for any help!!

I have the manual:
    9157TC3QORL._SL1500_.jpg

I know how to bring power to the relay, and even how to set the flip controls for the starting channel... but not how to convert the data line from the e682 to the DMX512 D+ and D-.
    Last edited by notw22; 12-30-2017 at 07:36 PM.
    notwlights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trying to turn on and off a simple plug-in projector light.

From the E682 operating manual (note that the J22 jumper sets the entire group of four to DMX):

2-Wire Balanced Outputs:
    One of the new features of the E682 is the ability to provide 2-wire balanced outputs. This feature would typically be used
    for outputs that are selected as type DMX when those outputs will be driving standard wired DMX fixtures.
    The E682 is also able to provide Renard-compatible outputs as well using the Balanced Output feature Balanced output
    mode may also be used with 3-wire pixels in conjunction with a balanced to unbalanced converter at the pixel string to
    enable running longer cable distances between the E682 and the pixels.
    This feature is enabled on a per-output group basis by installing the corresponding jumper in the J22 area. When a
    jumper is installed, the function of the output pins for those 4 outputs is changed as follows:
    Normal Use Use with J22 Jumper Installed
    DATA DATA+
    CLOCK DATAGROUND
    GROUND
    +V +V (often not used)
    The pinout to connect to a standard wired DMX ‘XLR’ connector would be:
    GROUND XLR Pin 1 ;signal ground
    DATA+ XLR Pin 3 ;data+
    DATA- XLR Pin 2 ;data-
    +V not used
    When a cluster is configured for Native DMX, each output of that cluster becomes a separate DMX universe output. The
    channel numbers corresponding to each “string” are mapped to the first n channels of that output, where n is the defined
    string length X 3.
    Ed
    Happily retired

3. Thanks notw22 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trying to turn on and off a simple plug-in projector light.

Ah, I see now that one of the groups of 4 needs to be set to DMX.
    Bummer it converts all 4 when I only need one. dah well.

So, I just ordered an e6804 kit to add to my current e682 so I can test out the projector light, and account for an upcoming mega tree.
    notwlights.com