Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a Power Pro that can say yeah or nay before I do this..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is there a Power Pro that can say yeah or nay before I do this..

Hey guys... I have a hot tub with a 50 amp GFCI and a spot for 2 smaller breakers in the box and the pool and pool heater have 2 30 amp breakers on it with a spot for 4 more smaller breakers on it... Both are drained and closed during the winter, so could i put 2 20 amp breakers on the pool box and a 20 amp on the hot tub box and use them during christmas only? Or is this a no go since its 240 not 120?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is there a Power Pro that can say yeah or nay before I do this..

I am a little confused...is your pool filter pump and pool heater running on 240? You can certainly have 2200/240 coming into a box and use 110 breakers that are rated for that box to make 110 circuits if there are slots available. However, I really think by your question you should have an electrician do this for you. I do use my pool and deck circuits for lighting during the holidays, but I wired them all as 110 to begin with......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lostbucket View Post
    Hey guys... I have a hot tub with a 50 amp GFCI and a spot for 2 smaller breakers in the box and the pool and pool heater have 2 30 amp breakers on it with a spot for 4 more smaller breakers on it... Both are drained and closed during the winter, so could i put 2 20 amp breakers on the pool box and a 20 amp on the hot tub box and use them during christmas only? Or is this a no go since its 240 not 120?
    You are short information to answer, but the first question back is: How many wires are coming into the HOT TUB BOX. If you don't have a WHITE wire then NO! You cannot get 110V from 220V
    (~~~~50 amp GFCI and a spot for 2 smaller breakers in the box ~~~~)
    If you have 4 wires: 2- black, a white and a green = or = a black, a red a white and a green, then likely you can, but testing is needed to be sure.
    In Lights Therapy

4. Likes jklingert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The pool and hot tub are both running 220/240 what ever its called... two hots and a common. Hot tub heater runs of 220/240 and all 4 pumps that run the hot tub are also 240/220. Same with the pool the 3 pumps on it are 220/240 and the heater is natural gas and i guess 120 to it. Maybe ill call an electrician. Sounds like you guys are saying its not as easy as using 1 side of the power as I thought it would be. I should add I paid extra to have the hot tub / pool ran off 220/240 as they are pumps that rev up and down depending on water quality, temp, and how much water they been moving. It was to save on electricity and I can say it only added 40ish a month to the bill with it all on. the old pool / hot tub that was all 120 was like 100 bucks a month. But that was all the old style 1 speed motors on everything. There is a computer that runs it all in the pump shed.
    Last edited by lostbucket; 12-30-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

2 hots and a common is not an answer - clarify the common. Can't use the fact there is a gas heater. Gas system can be transformed from 220/240 to 12V...24V...or dedicated 120V - can't guess.

It does not matter what the pumps are used for, or how many pumps there are, or their voltage we only need to know the incoming power and cabling. We cannot use the pump data to guess at the incoming system voltage. You say they are not in use so you have power that can be tapped. Now we need to clearly define what that power is and how it is configured. At this phase, the ONLY concern is what cabling is coming into the panel. The number of wires and the designation of use for each wire. If you are not able to clearly answer that question, then yes please call an electrician before you go any further.

I looking for a 4 wire system to get you 120V (110V 115V) If you don't have a 4 wire system coming into that panel, then you cannot get 120V without pulling more cable.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

The bottom line here is you need an electrician. This is not something to guess at. We don't want to read your obit as a result of trying to do this yourself.
    Ed
    Happily retired

8. Likes lostbucket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pictures may answer all questions.... I also second the fact that none of the extra information matters, just the wiring info is needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Ill get you guys a picture in the next few days its 9 here, and i am not gonna go play with the metal boxes today. I thank you guys for the help. I got 22k incans going on a mega spiral tree and 4 arches of lights and need all the spare amps I can get for them... These boxes happen to be on the side of the house i'll need the power from. Worse comes to worse Ill just have to run 120 from the main pane and put another box next to the hot tub box for the 120 only. I am versed enough to do that... I have just never messed with anything over 120. So thanks for keeping me from getting killed guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lostbucket View Post
    Ill get you guys a picture in the next few days its 9 here, and i am not gonna go play with the metal boxes today. I thank you guys for the help. I got 22k incans going on a mega spiral tree and 4 arches of lights and need all the spare amps I can get for them... These boxes happen to be on the side of the house i'll need the power from. Worse comes to worse Ill just have to run 120 from the main pane and put another box next to the hot tub box for the 120 only. I am versed enough to do that... I have just never messed with anything over 120. So thanks for keeping me from getting killed guys!
    Maybe not be a lost cause....worst case is to add breakers as you were thinking but use 220v transformers. Just need to be extra cautious- it hurts 2 x 120v

But letís know what you have first.....no playing with metal in 9 degrees . . . What a woose ☃️🌬💨❄️❄️❄️
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    Maybe not be a lost cause....worst case is to add breakers as you were thinking but use 220v transformers. Just need to be extra cautious- it hurts 2 x 120v

But letís know what you have first.....no playing with metal in 9 degrees . . . What a woose ☃️❄️❄️❄️
    HaHa, my wife would call me a similar word that starts with a capital P and ends with a Y ..............lol

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast