Thread: A possible new product...

Post Thanks / Like

Default A possible new product...

Hey folks,

This year I built some animated RGB snowflakes to add to my display, and I'm considering making some of them for sale. If any of you can give me an opinion on whether it would be interesting, I'd appreciate it.

There's a video .

Each snowflake has 55 WS2812 LEDs and currently has 4 different animations. They run on 5 volts and take about 3 amps max. They are about 12" across.

I'm thinking a real product would have more animations, and it would likely be controlled remotely over 802.11 wireless. Remote control might be merely to set/sync animations, it might be to direct drive the whole array to a specific color, or perhaps individual leds directly.

The production version would likely be a blowmold-style waterproof housing rather than the current approach.

If this is something that would be interesting to you, please let me know. If you have a price that seems reasonable, that would help as well.

Thanks

Eric Gunnerson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A possible new product...

Interestingly enough, those look very similar to my "Star Flakes". I made those from a Phillips product which had white LEDs in them. Mine uses 90 WS2811 pixels and are driven by a Pixlite Long Range card.

I think yours look nice. Not sure you could make them as a viable product and make money from them but you could try. Since they have an internal program most likely the flashy blinky crowd would probably pass.. but for regular home owner stuff.. maybe.. It would be a financial gamble on your part

I tried to post a picture but for some reason it wouldn't upload.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Hard to ship cheaply.
    2. Hard to ship without getting smashed
    3. You'd need to have it run on something like the Twinkly app if you want a home owner to buy it

I think it would be a hard go for you. Unless your goal is just to sell a handful a year to make some fun money.
    [url]www.holiday-light-express.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    I think yours look nice. Not sure you could make them as a viable product and make money from them but you could try. Since they have an internal program most likely the flashy blinky crowd would probably pass.. but for regular home owner stuff.. maybe.. It would be a financial gamble on your part
    Thanks for your response.

By "flashy blinky crowd", I assume you are talking about those that computer-control all their lights. I think I have a solution for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to write a response.

I am looking at "hobby money" rather than "real job money".

And I agree totally with #1 and #2 for the current version; there is no way it would survive. I think I can do something that's much more robust, but it's not clear yet if I can do it cheaply enough.