Thread: Dmx enttec pro.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dmx enttec pro.

Has anyone else had the problem of Vixen 2 saying that the associated Dongle port is not available ?

I have successfully connected to the ENTTEC PRO dongle from time to time but more often then not I just receive the error, it is if the port
    is being "stuck" and will not release for the programme access. When trying to associate Vixen 3 it tells me that the port is busy. The Light is off on the dongle and I have verified its existence with the ENTTEC PRO utility ver2.

Please HELP
    Graham
    P.S
    I am using windows 10

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dmx enttec pro.

Vixen 2.1x has a "thing" about more than one USB dongle of the same manufacturer/chipset, it will always complain about the port. ie 1 x FDTI, 1 x Prolific usually works, but not two of one or the other. The screen gets fill by oblong warning boxes!! This could be having a bearing on your problem.

Terry
    [B]"Tory Street Lights", Nelson, NZ[/B]
    [B]2013 - "Honourable Mention"[/B] - 2013 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2013 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 650 Channels, 45,000+ lights. 7,000 or so LED's this year:-)
    ----------------------------------------------
    [B]"Lucky Home" [/B]- 2012 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2012 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 550 Channels, 40,000+ lights. 2,500 or so LED's for the first time :-)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [B]2011:-[/B] 7 x Ren 64XC's - 384 Channels, 30,000+ lights - all incandescents! 2 x Commercial LED Panels (72x7)!
    ------------------------------------------------
    [B]"Supreme Winner for 2010" [/B]Local Christmas Lighting Competition, 4 x Ren 64's - 256 Channels Controlled by Vixen - "Brilliant" :-)
    18,000 to 20,000 Lights - all incandescents! 2 x LedTricks Panels with "Pix C" interface's
    [B]2009:- [/B]128 Channels of "Hill 320", 4,000 Lights

Post Thanks / Like

i use an Entec DMX Pro dongle, along with two USB to serial dongles for Renard connections in Vixen 2. As long as I don't unplug then reinsert in different locations, vixen runs fine. I am required to restart vixen each day prior to running the scheduler. you may want to double check that the com ports are available, double check your profile that you have it assigned to the appropriate com port, also make sure there's no extra instances of vixen running - either reboot, or go into task manager and kill any extra vixen instances.

plugins.png

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terry , Thanks for the info, I am only using one Dongle at this time I have removed the software and reinstalled it with no luck. I do not get the oblong boxes just a message that the port ( in my case com port 5 ) is not available and execution will be stopped. :-(
    cheers Graham

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply, I do restart Vixen along with the computer at the start of each session and 9 times out of ten I receive the com port unavailable error . The com port shows up in control panel as working if I uninstall it then reinstall the dongle it comes back as installed yet when I restart Vixen most of the time " NO JOY" . I have noticed that the ENTTEC PRO utility may tack one or two refreshes to find the dongle itself so this may be an issue with Windows rather then Vixen ?

Post Thanks / Like

sorry for the pain - yeah, possibly windows. maybe double check the driver?. I'm on an old XP windows version, but it's very stable.

Post Thanks / Like

Or, how about the USB port having been set for power saving mode and it doesn't wake up?