Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: a problem with a RobG WS2811 10watt flood

Post Thanks / Like

Default a problem with a RobG WS2811 10watt flood

I must be too tired to see what I'm doing wrong. I have a 10watt RobG WS2811 board plugged into a falcon controller in a differential receiver and it just lights up Red and doesn't react to data. That's no Ethernet cord plugged into the receiver and just applying power. I've tried it with two different boards and the same results.

I've double checked my wiring / re-did it but I must be doing something wrong. Any thoughts? When I last used the boards they tested OK but that has been a while.

The port is set for WS2811.

Any thoughts.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: a problem with a RobG WS2811 10watt flood

What does the light do using the falcon test mode? Do you have your flood defined in the E1.31 inputs and String Ports?
    Jim H.
    Muskego, WI
    Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights

Post Thanks / Like

How are the Rob G flood lights when they are working? I just ordered three of them to convert some LED flood lights that I have.

Dale P.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaleP View Post
    How are the Rob G flood lights when they are working? I just ordered three of them to convert some LED flood lights that I have.

Dale P.
    I have 10 or so of them... they work flawlessly...

To the OP.. have you tried test mode yet ??
    ----------
    Don't know a thing...

Post Thanks / Like

I bought 6 - 20W WS2811 RobG floods this year - love 'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim H.
    Muskego, WI
    Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JasonPortwood View Post
    I must be too tired to see what I'm doing wrong. I have a 10watt RobG WS2811 board plugged into a falcon controller in a differential receiver and it just lights up Red and doesn't react to data. That's no Ethernet cord plugged into the receiver and just applying power. I've tried it with two different boards and the same results.

I've double checked my wiring / re-did it but I must be doing something wrong. Any thoughts? When I last used the boards they tested OK but that has been a while.

The port is set for WS2811.

Any thoughts.

Jason
    If you have power and no data, they may just be in the last state waiting to be told to do something else. Or more likely it's a soldering problem on the board. Very common.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Same issue with mine (purchased a 4 a few weeks ago). I bought 4... built 4... None work. Mine just light up blue. I have double checked every connection on all 4 boards.

I posted on the main '10w flood thread' but still no luck.

I've actually given up on them. $38 in the trash.

Post Thanks / Like

I have four of his 20w boards and never had any problems other than operator error.

The last time I had this kind of issue was a couple weeks ago when I tested 5v meteor lights with a 12v power supply. Goodbye WS2811 chips, but several of the LEDs lit up without data being fed to them. Three meteor lights later, I saw the "5v" label on them. The 10w floods can only handle 5v, if memory serves, so check your power supply.

I have seen solder bridges cause the exact problem you describe. I have also seen minor shorts in DIY cables cause the phenomenon, too. I would check your pigtails for continuity, too. I found one in my last batch where V+ and Data were swapped. No big deal to swap them on the strand, but it was a head scratcher until I broke out the multimeter and tested them as a last resort.

Post Thanks / Like

i have built 4-20 watt and 5-50 watt and all work great.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for not updating on my issue. I tried to send data to them in the falcon test mode but I get no reaction to the test mode. I have the pixels configured as WS2811 and 4 pixels (I have 4 of them). The first one is the one that lights Red the rest are dark. They worked the last time I used them and they are outside, under my porch so they are out of the weather. Only if my kids play with the water hose on the porch could they get hit. Plus they are in the usual mounting case and well sealed up.

I did re-run the data/power lines to the ones I have deployed, well the first one, and I assumed they were set the same as one I had already made that is a spare so I went off of that one for the wire colors. Maybe I didn't wire my test one the same - didn't think of that. I'll take one down and tear it open and see.

To the TheLost - If they haven't gone to the dump yet pull them out. They do work great. Post a pic to the thread too. Can't hurt to let others take a look. I subscribed to the thread too so incase you do update it.

Thank you all.

Jason Portwood

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast