Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: a problem with a RobG WS2811 10watt flood

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: a problem with a RobG WS2811 10watt flood

Quote Originally Posted by DaleP View Post
    Thelost, did you get your lights figured out yet?

I screwed up mine and ended up ordering a new board. I put the new board together and it works good. I damaged the transistors on the last boards when I tried to remove them and change the RGB sequence. It doesn't take much heat to screw them up, perhaps that's the issue with your boards? Still seems weird that you can't get four different boards to work.
    Nope.. i have two more that should show up today. If these don't work i'll just go with the ones from Holidaycoro.

Post Thanks / Like

Thelost, did you get your lights figured out yet?

I screwed up mine and ended up ordering a new board. I put the new board together and it works good. I damaged the transistors on the last boards when I tried to remove them and change the RGB sequence. It doesn't take much heat to screw them up, perhaps that's the issue with your boards? Still seems weird that you can't get four different boards to work.

Dale P.
    I am curious as to how de-soldering and re-soldering transistors on the 10w board would correct color order ?

Color order is a simple controller or sequencer configuration !

Post Thanks / Like

There are two different settings for the transistors so you can change the order to RGB or GBR. I built two boards in the wrong setting and tried to change them. I'm new to pixels and didn't know that you could change it in the settings. Also I have several 20 watt lights that will be daisy chained with the 10 watt one and I'm not sure if it would work if one light needed to be flipped and the rest were in the correct RBG order.
    Dale P.

Post Thanks / Like

There are two different settings for the transistors so you can change the order to RGB or GBR. I built two boards in the wrong setting and tried to change them. I'm new to pixels and didn't know that you could change it in the settings. Also I have several 20 watt lights that will be daisy chained with the 10 watt one and I'm not sure if it would work if one light needed to be flipped and the rest were in the correct RBG order.
    Dale P.
    I see , so it is a assembly option .
    One would need to verify their Led color order prior to assembly if that is the case .
    If one messed up in the assembly , an easier correction would be to de-solder the led and creatively swap the inputs .

Post Thanks / Like

@TheLost, can you post good quality pics of one of the boards (front and back?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    @TheLost, can you post good quality pics of one of the boards (front and back?)
    The 5th board I've built ... same issue as the others. Solid white light when plugged in. I think these boards are my kryptonite.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    The 5th board I've built ... same issue as the others. Solid white light when plugged in. I think these boards are my kryptonite.
    Not to be harsh , just an observation of your photos.

You possibly need a better soldering iron and maybe solder also.
    If you do not have a professional grade iron , I would suggest you look at one .

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hakko-FX-888...EAAOSwfZ1WXeOZ

Kester solder is a good idea also

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-lb-Roll-Ke...YAAOSwO7haGLCj

Your Led needs better alignment and definitely more solder .

All of your solder connections appear to be lacking heat .

The v+ gnd and data connections need a real close look as there is no solder connection at all on the back side .

A good mechanical solder connection looks like it was done by a machine .
    Last edited by angus40; 01-15-2018 at 06:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I add a little flux paste to my joints before I solder them and it really helps in making the solder flow. It takes a little longer to clean up the board when done, but it's worth it. I use 99% rubbing alcohol to clean the board with a stiff brush. Sorry the pictures aren't very good, but if you look at the data and power wires you can see how the flux allowed the solder to flow right through the holes in the board to the back side.
    Dale P
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaleP; 01-15-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

@TheLost, other than what angus40 wrote, C2 and C3 are switched.

Post Thanks / Like

Soldering iron is a Weller WES51.
    Solder is Kester
    Flux pen was used on all connections (i cleaned the board before taking the pictures)
    I went with a cooler temperature this time based on recommendations from earlier posts.

V+, Ground and Data are only 'tacked' on as a temporary connection. Do they need to be soldered on both sides?

The capacitors received in this order are a different size than my first order... I'll switch them around.

I didn't spend much time on this board because of my low expectations. However, under magnificatio, everything is making connection to what it should, and nothing that it shouldn't.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast