Thread: Homemade Twig Trees

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homemade Twig Trees

Anyone make one of these homemade and want to share a way to do it. I want like 5 or 6 of them but that would toast my end of the year Christmas light budget

I thought maybe a 1in or so piece of PVC for the trunk and maybe some 1/2 for branches then maybe run some light gauge wire off the 1/2 in for the twigs something like coat hanger wire or something? Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Homemade Twig Trees

i think nutz4lights has something similar although his resemble christmas trees rather than twig trees. my first thought was 1/4 rod going down to smaller gauge wire but you would need to learn to weld. when i have looked at them inn the past, it seemed they were mostly wire just twisted around itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homemade Twig Trees

Look at using safety wire, it is thinner and able to be shaped but will hold its position. And wrap that around the 1/4 in rod to make smaller twigs

519 Renard Channels
    1890 pixels channels
    Will it Ever Stop
    Cant Seem to Cure the C.L.A.P.
    Christmas Light Addiction Problem
    maybe more lights will help?

Post Thanks / Like

I like the looks of his better the Christmas tree look is more like what Iím going for. Iíll check with him and see if he has any pointers

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, $83 bucks. You could buy them post-season for next year at probably a much cheaper price. Target often does 40-50% off post-Christmas as do other stores. The UPC code is 741895723314. Maybe that would help your budget.

Basically, they're made out of thin but stiff wire twisted by machines to make branches and trunks. The wires are attached with an ultra-cheap wrapping that's some kind of paper or fabric that's been soaked in some kind of barely sticky adhesive or similar goop. The wrap dries out quickly, becomes brittle, and is impossible to reuse if you modify the tree.

A few years ago I attempted to make a 3' one out of dry cleaning shirt hangers, twisting them together to form trunks and branches. I wrapped the wires with electrical tape, putting a bulb at the end of every branch. While a very low-cost option to make it this way, I have to say the time I invested into making just that one was significant. I twisted the whole thing together using two pairs of vice grips, and that one tree took me about 30 hours to twist together tight enough to where it would hold it's shape. I didn't glue or weld anything.

What I did was make the branches first, twisted them tightly except for the the last three inches that would be attached to the trunk. As I twisted the trunk together, I inserted the untwisted ends of the branches into the trunk, then twisted the trunk. The trick was to not start twisting with the ends of the coat hangers lined up, and have a 6" stagger. This way as multiple hangers are twisted together (I did six for the trunk, three for the branches), the ends don't run out at the same place and a new one can be twisted in it's place with minimal overlap and the other coat hangers that haven't ended can hold it together.

I ended up giving the coat-hanger tree to my aunt as a Christmas present. It came out nice, just was a ton of work to make it.

I should have splurged and bought craft wire. Here are many types and sizes available: http://www.craftwire.org/technology/...raft-wire.html

Wire can be wound with a hook or ring on one end, and a cordless drill on the other. I couldn't do that with coat hangers, way to stiff.

Post Thanks / Like

My Menards has 2 sizes of them half the price of the Target brand https://www.menards.com/main/home-de...5188193&ipos=2

Post Thanks / Like

Im thinking of buying some cheap plain artificial Christmas tree when they go on sale and use those. Just wonder how they would hold up outside

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I know this may sound daft but have you considered using a real small tree, get one a little larger than you need and trim back the smaller branches that may get damaged to get the size you want. Dry it out and coat it with a few coats of fence preservative.

Post Thanks / Like

Iím looking in the 4-6ft range, I have a dozen mini trees I made of pvc so Iím looking for something bigger to add in next year
    Wanting something to go where I have the Santa and reindeer and kind of run them towards the mini trees