Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vixen or xlights?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen or xlights?

Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    Oh no, here where go! lol
    Next thing you know, the HLS people will be jumping in!
    Oh you know I had to. We should take bets on how many times this question gets raised every season.

2. Likes sporadic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with xLights but learned Vixen from scratch. I have nothing but good things to say about it and have recommended it to others that are looking to get into lights

Post Thanks / Like

I bet 12,534,792 times

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot more effects and variations can be done on that type of element in xLights. But that also depends on how detailed your style is. For example you can break up the tree into 2D projection zones and put different effects in each and even scale them in xLights (like a zoom). Vixen has nothing close to that. But if you aren’t going to go to that depth it may not matter. xLights has better rendering of complex animation effects. This video shows what I mean https://youtu.be/KuGe2lgs6Kg

On the other hand Vixen’s custom curve tool is a lot easier to dial in, for use on colors and intensity gradients.

I find Vixen more user friendly to sequence in. xLights has more power. I'm likely going to consider both moving forward, although if my display gets large with a lot of matrices I'd likely use xLights more often, particularly as it innately is able to interpret the entire display as a single panel. That’s my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cmschleich; 12-08-2017 at 06:35 PM.
    youtu.be/nBL9qYPaXwQ

Post Thanks / Like

Could not resist . LoL

Like Bentley and Rolls-Royce

HLS works just fine !

7. Likes sporadic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no best. It comes down to what you are more comfortable using. I use both.
    Both have good support ,so if you run into any issues,it's usually fixed in a short period of time.
    (1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1)Falcon F16V3
    (1)Renard SS16
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Falcon Christmas
    Renard Controllers

9. Likes TazChaLet, Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just really thankful that there is several groups of people that work so hard to supply the software to the community. It's really quite amazing how good both programs are. Sorry I haven't used HLS but I'm sure it's great too. But I would try both, find the manuals, and watch a ton of videos.

11. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try joining the Wednesday evening zoom calls 7pm eastern and chat live to 40-70 lighting enthusiasts from across the world ... or just listen in. https://zoom.us/j/175801909

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't mind a side thought...

I was asked by someone reading like threads of which is better, "why do you use both". My answer: Vixen feels more like I think, but xLights does "singing faces" so much easier. All of my own work with singing characters is done in xLights. Vixen folks are working hard to bring their's up to speed, and now that crunch time is over - I'm going to try very hard to make it work there. Others have mastered it. (I have nothing but admiration for folks like Popo-B-Trippin who have figured out the nuances involved with doing faces inside Vixen.)

Also, I have a few others that from time to time send me stuff to include. My own partner of 43 years has taken up xLights. Another, a friend on the Winter Wonderland crew learned Vixen a couple of years ago. I have my own history with Vixen. I have to be ready to help either one, and in many cases - modify their work to the standard that has been set.

Therefore, I use both.

Besides, you never know who is going to "win" and any time in the war of the sequencers. Best be able to go into either when needed.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12