Thread: Whats the best way to dry out, troubleshoot, fix wet pixels?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whats the best way to dry out, troubleshoot, fix wet pixels?

In short. It rained and the day I left for a trip. I was sent this picture of the failures. Looks like I have the following problems:
    4 or 5 strings on the tree multicolored not matching sequence.
    Random pixels on or dark.
    Section of the single string 270 node star multicolored.

What is the best way to dry out the pixels? Or do I need to locate and replace where the problem begins. I get back Dec 15 so trying to formulate a plan when I get back. I have changed problem pixels before, just not experienced with water issues. Wet Tree.jpg Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Whats the best way to dry out, troubleshoot, fix wet pixels?

How do you have the pigtails soldered to the strings? If you are using a splice, then more then likely water has gotten in and is causing a voltage jump from the power to the data line. I am dealing with that on a couple of my strings as well. I just cut away the shrink tube and use a hair dryer to make sure it is all dry, then because i can not get a new piece of shrink tube on, i actually seal it up with wax, then wrap in tape.

3. Likes tecnageek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Solder spliced with adhesive lined shrink tube. Doubt it is at the splice points, I suspect less that IP68 rating applies to the pixels, at least some of them. Besides not all the problems start at the end of strings. Some of the pixels looked questionable when I built it, put some electric safe calking on the ones I noticed.
    I believe water has penetrated some of the pixels themselves. Probably have to cut them out and replace, do not think they will dry if water is inside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aknflyer View Post
    Solder spliced with adhesive lined shrink tube. Doubt it is at the splice points, I suspect less that IP68 rating applies to the pixels, at least some of them. Besides not all the problems start at the end of strings. Some of the pixels looked questionable when I built it, put some electric safe calking on the ones I noticed.
    I believe water has penetrated some of the pixels themselves. Probably have to cut them out and replace, do not think they will dry if water is inside.
    I had some leakers. Leak was around the lens. I started with compressed air to blow the water out, then a hair dryer to remove the moisture. I did a quick dry, then energized and started concentrated drying at first bad Pixel. As they turned on, I moved the hair dryer. Eventually I had all 50 pixels functioning correctly.

Third head in use, but only in protected ares. (Outdoor, but not in direct rain)
    In Lights Therapy...

6. Thanks aknflyer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    Third head in use, but only in protected ares. (Outdoor, but not in direct rain)
    What do you mean by "Third head"
    Thank you Mr Grumpy.
    I did notice the lens could detach from bonding if too rough. Good place to seal in the future. I might give that a try after my trip return on the 18th. Cutting it close to christmas, but would make my 10yr old daughter happy again.

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha, sb 3rd year in use since they got wet
    In Lights Therapy...

Post Thanks / Like

I use hot glue gun.