Thread: RGB LED Rope lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default RGB LED Rope lights

I have an idea for next year to incorporate rope lights into a design. It must be at least 12V Dumb RGB pixels but smart pixels will be a bonus. I thought of 5050 strips but are concerned that the view angle might be an issue(design do not allow strips to be mounted looking forward). I do not see anything online.

Alternatively I could use LED strips with a very flexible reflecting conduit or sleeve. Know of anything that would do the job? Any ideas or suggestions?

Charl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RGB LED Rope lights

What you want to search for is neon pixel strip.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the neon pixel strips are 5V (battery operated) and/or a single color. There is similar items that they use in the auto industry but this is very expensive and not really 5050 LEDS. I also do not see how you would connect this to a Dumb RGB controller. I will still do some research.

Thank you anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Charle ...what total rubbish ... I have dozens of 5m neon pixel strips which are 12v ws2811s ... replaced all the rope lights on a bunch of wire frames ... totally amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Keith please send me a link to what you are using ( or vendor detail) as we are definatle not looking at the same thing. The flat strips would not work as it has to be viewed 360 degrees. Just to be clear. I'm looking for a LED rope light that is controlled by a dumb or smart pixel controller and thus have at least the choice of RGBW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keithsw1111 View Post
    Charle ...what total rubbish ... I have dozens of 5m neon pixel strips which are 12v ws2811s ... replaced all the rope lights on a bunch of wire frames ... totally amazing.

Please post a link to these. I'm not really into rubbish, but I am looking for a smart version of rope light.
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Keith may be referring to a product like this from Ray:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...151f947dlZVGrV
    I myself went with the neon WS2811 to create some arches and 3D printed the bases:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...6828f577a239XE
    They came out great and wife insists on making 6 to 10 more....
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I too, had been looking for a 360 Degree solution..

I found the WS2811 neon rope light.. But it is just an encased pixel strip that is only fully visible on the side that the strip was pointed.

I sure wouldn't recommend it, but without a better alternative.. I ended up making my own. The same could be done with dumb RGB LED's.

I used the 5mm version of the APA-106x LED. I also could have used a PL9823.. Both work with a controller configured for standard WS2811 output.

I daisy chained the LED's together and inserted the strings into sealed 3/8" polyethylene tubing.

Sorry for the crappy picture.. The wireframe was copied from here:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...3658#post53658

-Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Reddy_Kilowatt; 12-07-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: link

Post Thanks / Like

I will try to remember to take a photo tonight of my wire frames. With the neons you get about a 180+ view. And from those sides they look amazing. From directly behind it is not going to look good. From the sides it does. In fact the way I installed it it is only seen from the side and it looks at least as good if not better than my old ropelight.

Post Thanks / Like

So I took a couple of photos of the neon lights.

From a few feet away they just look like ropelight.