Thread: Vixen 3 + Mega Tree Setup Even Numbered Strings sequence Inverted/Reversed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen 3 + Mega Tree Setup Even Numbered Strings sequence Inverted/Reversed

I am trying to build 12 String ws2811 Mega Tree. However below are the issues. chained all the strings Refer attached image for reference.

a) When I play the sequence all even numbered strings play in reverse compared to odd that is the first data line.

b) I am using UNO for testing with 3 strings thats 150 Pixels and essentially 450 channels.

Problem:

There is so much lag that chase I can cannot see happening in all the strings or all pixels just flashes 1 or 2 pixels some times in all strings.

Also I am planning to use 3 Arduino Mega to support 4 strings each, will this help solve my current problem.

Current baud rate in sketch and vixen is 115200 and refresh i have tried 20 to 100ms. Can you recommend me what is the ideal values.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3 + Mega Tree Setup Even Numbered Strings sequence Inverted/Reversed

When you patch the Pixels in Vixen 3 to the controller you will need to check "Reverse Element Order" for the even numbered strings
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3 + Mega Tree Setup Even Numbered Strings sequence Inverted/Reversed

Just some loose math,

115200 bps / 9 (8 data and 1 stop bits) = 12,800 Bytes per second
    12,800 / 3 = 4266 pixels per second
    4266 pps / 20 frames per second (the default rate in vixen) = 213 pixels per frame.

Seems possible, but not a whole lot of room left to do anything with that data and send it out to the pixels. I'm not thinking that's going to work at that speed on such a low end microcontroller.

The RF1 products would drive up to one universe of pixels on an Arduino chip. They took their data in at 250,000 or faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Just some loose math,

115200 bps / 9 (8 data and 1 stop bits) = 12,800 Bytes per second...
    Minor error - it was loose as you didn't include the start bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Just some loose math,

115200 bps / 9 (8 data and 1 stop bits) = 12,800 Bytes per second
    12,800 / 3 = 4266 pixels per second
    4266 pps / 20 frames per second (the default rate in vixen) = 213 pixels per frame.

Seems possible, but not a whole lot of room left to do anything with that data and send it out to the pixels. I'm not thinking that's going to work at that speed on such a low end microcontroller.

The RF1 products would drive up to one universe of pixels on an Arduino chip. They took their data in at 250,000 or faster.
    I can't get any other controllers like pixlite or renard.

Does this mean that even with 3 mega's, I can't get the speed as good as other controllers.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    When you patch the Pixels in Vixen 3 to the controller you will need to check "Reverse Element Order" for the even numbered strings
    I already tried that still it's inverted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SJBosco View Post
    I already tried that still it's inverted.

Seems to me that your Vixen MEGA tree is not mapping properly to your actual pixels. You either re-wire the physical MEGA pixel strings, or re-arrange how Vixen maps to one long 150-pixel string.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SJBosco View Post
    ...Problem:

There is so much lag that chase I can cannot see happening in all the strings or all pixels just flashes 1 or 2 pixels some times in all strings....
    Are you running your pixel strings at 400 kps for the ws2811? If so, for 150 pixels that could take about 35 msec, or 29 HZ refresh rate. This may be part of your lag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LightUp View Post
    Are you running your pixel strings at 400 kps for the ws2811? If so, for 150 pixels that could take about 35 msec, or 29 HZ refresh rate. This may be part of your lag.
    Rewired as suggested to match Vixen and now it's perfect.

I updated the baud in sketch and vixen from 115200 to 230400 for 3 strings and it seems, I have pretty decent speed without lag.

Last edited by SJBosco; 12-07-2017 at 09:54 PM.