Thread: Easiest way, Or cheapest way, to build a Pixel sign?

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Easiest way, Or cheapest way, to build a Pixel sign?

Okay i found one on youtube seems to be about the size i would like.. Not really sure I know i don't want it to narrow and not to long cause of where i have to put it. i want it big enough to be visable from the street but don't want to stick it right at the street. this is for next year and want/need ideas on what to use to make it.. if i have to use a Raspberry pi or some other sort of cheaper device to run just the sign itself that is okay with me, cause its about 100 foot to where i would put it from my Computer room where the show is controlled.

this guys has some cool figures in his sign, no clue how to even do those. i would like mine to scroll and say MERRY CHRISTMAS From the Langleys we wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy new year. Also would like it to scroll and say Please check us out on FB @ _____ and the time the show runs.. if it could. or maybe I would need 2 separate signs? now sure how much text a scrolling sign can do i know nothing about them that is why im asking..
    as of now my display only uses Incans and LED lights. with a CBT16 PC box. I know i will need a 12V power supply and the pixels for the least of a project like this.. was thinking about Coroplast and 2x2 or 2x4 for the sign itself maybe.
    Thank you

here is this guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_umTl8LLF0
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Easiest way, Or cheapest way, to build a Pixel sign?

I have two:

One sign is a 30 X 32 matrix made from 1M pixel strips. Hung the strips on a tomato fence and used some wire to help keep the spacing constant. Looks nice. This has 960 pixels on it and needs two power supplies. It would be at the upper end for the capabilities of a PI hat.

The other signe is a 10 high X 25 Wide sign made from bullet nodes. I used an egg crate fluorescent light cover (the kind used in office buildings) and hot glued a pixel in every other hole. A PI could run this via a PI hat.

Vixen or xLights can be used to create a sequence that has the text you want. Export to fseq file. Install FPP on the PI, add the fseq file and you have a stand alone sign.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    I have two:

One sign is a 30 X 32 matrix made from 1M pixel strips. Hung the strips on a tomato fence and used some wire to help keep the spacing constant. Looks nice. This has 960 pixels on it and needs two power supplies. It would be at the upper end for the capabilities of a PI hat.

The other signe is a 10 high X 25 Wide sign made from bullet nodes. I used an egg crate fluorescent light cover (the kind used in office buildings) and hot glued a pixel in every other hole. A PI could run this via a PI hat.

Vixen or xLights can be used to create a sequence that has the text you want. Export to fseq file. Install FPP on the PI, add the fseq file and you have a stand alone sign.
    Thanks for the reply, well I was thinking one that would run alone would be nice it could run when the display Wasn't on to let folks know when to come back and the website. So is it pretty easy to program. Again I know nothing about these do you tell it what to say or do you have to use each channel to tell when to come on to have it say the words you want? I habit found a good video that shows how to go about making the words or items on the sign. The smaller one you mention sounds maybe good size..any links to what I would need to make it? I would just need what smart rgbs and the 12v power supply? I see people talking about power injections within the pixels would something like this need this or the power from.the start be enough to run it. Or do you do each line of pixels is separate and feeds from.the power supply?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

PI plus PiHat plus FPP software makes a full show controller. and stand alone scheduler. Add a WiFi antenna to the PI so it csan tell what time it is then you can have it turn on and off at specific times. You can change the message based on time of day. The PI does not know about the message, it just knoows how to pump data from an fseq file to the pixels and it knows which file to play when.

Generating fseq files with your target messages is done by the sequencing software. I am going to use vixen as an example *xLights works as well). In vixen you will create a grid that resembles the hardware you plan to build. You apply a text effect to the grid with the message and colors you want. Scroll spin flash whatever you need. Then export to fseq, transfer to the pi over the wifi interface and let it run.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

5. Thanks Augus thanked for this post
    Likes Augus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    PI plus PiHat plus FPP software makes a full show controller. and stand alone scheduler. Add a WiFi antenna to the PI so it csan tell what time it is then you can have it turn on and off at specific times. You can change the message based on time of day. The PI does not know about the message, it just knoows how to pump data from an fseq file to the pixels and it knows which file to play when.

Generating fseq files with your target messages is done by the sequencing software. I am going to use vixen as an example *xLights works as well). In vixen you will create a grid that resembles the hardware you plan to build. You apply a text effect to the grid with the message and colors you want. Scroll spin flash whatever you need. Then export to fseq, transfer to the pi over the wifi interface and let it run.
    Alright thanks for the info yeah I messed with the Rasberry Pi and FPP when i was trying to build a homemade controller with it. I never got the pi hat but i can get one before next year. I use Vixen.. at least i did this year. not sure there is a reason to switch to anything else since i have a decent knowledge of it now.

ive had so many things in my brain trying to figure it all out before light up day. I forget what is what I have go back and look if the Pi hat would control the pixels or if there is something else i need to buy.. I like to figure it all out by next year. I like to be able to use it for Halloween also and maybe even other holidays.
    Thanks
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

After looking on YouTube seems people make scrolling signs all driffrent ways..
    Not sure if strips of led or nobes be best it seem like stripes be easier to work with then having to make holes for the moves to go through..

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

boscoyo has pixel grid strips. i made mine with egg crate ceiling tile from lowes. loots of options