Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Performance?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold Weather Performance?

I've got a pair of Sonoff switches based on the ESP-01 reprogrammed so I can control them with Vixen via http. They worked great for a few days then I started getting 'this webpage cannot be reached' messages. I bring the switch into my office, it works fine. Worked fine for a day or two outside then I saw problems again last night. Does the ESP-01 have any problems with cold weather or should I be looking at other areas?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cold Weather Performance?

I have about 5 ESP-01's running right now (on ESPixelSticks) with no issues. What I have seen is a huge influx of cheap/bad/knockoff Esp8266's hitting the market. Where did you get your chips? Have you tried one from a diffrent source?

I have a bag full of crappy boards from various vendors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    I have about 5 ESP-01's running right now (on ESPixelSticks) with no issues. What I have seen is a huge influx of cheap/bad/knockoff Esp8266's hitting the market. Where did you get your chips? Have you tried one from a diffrent source?

I have a bag full of crappy boards from various vendors
    I got the Sonoffs from two different cheap sources but both within the past few months. I have an ESP01 controlling a string of pixels with no issues, but it is setting next to a power supply. I was thinking that if some ESPs are temp sensitive I could put a 1/4 watt resistor in the enclosure to warm it up a few degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcK View Post
    I got the Sonoffs from two different cheap sources but both within the past few months. I have an ESP01 controlling a string of pixels with no issues, but it is setting next to a power supply. I was thinking that if some ESPs are temp sensitive I could put a 1/4 watt resistor in the enclosure to warm it up a few degrees.

How cold is cold? I have an ESP-01 that has been running in a snow-level sensor for the past 2 years and we hit sub-zero all the time in winter.

They are very signal sensitive... is it possible its loosing connection to your AP?

IMHO the best ESP-01 boards are the ones that have 'AI-Cloud Inside' printed on them with both a Red (power) and Blue (signal) status LED. They also should have very clean/crisp trace lines. The knockoffs normaly only have one color LED (blue) and have sloppy solder connections.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    How cold is cold? I have an ESP-01 that has been running in a snow-level sensor for the past 2 years and we hit sub-zero all the time in winter.

They are very signal sensitive... is it possible its loosing connection to your AP?

IMHO the best ESP-01 boards are the ones that have 'AI-Cloud Inside' printed on them with both a Red (power) and Blue (signal) status LED. They also should have very clean/crisp trace lines. The knockoffs normaly only have one color LED (blue) and have sloppy solder connections.
    I'm in central Ohio so cold hasn't really been that cold. Temp came to mind because it worked inside where my AP signal is weaker, and worked when the weather was warmer, but now acts up outside in the evening when the temp drops below freezing. If the esp8266 is not temperature sensitive, I'll skip trying to add a 'heater' resistor to the enclosure and look for other problems.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The ESP module specs down to -40C/-40F so it's not likely the problem. Other parts, such as power supplies, power bucks or the like may have specs down to either 0C/32F or -20C/-4F and you can easily mistake the ESP module as the problem when some other component is failing because it's colder than it's specified operating temperature.

How do I know this? I found out the hard way...

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The store were you can find blinky-flashy gizmos that you never knew existed!

Post Thanks / Like

So you are saying northern Alaska may be an issue?

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    The ESP module specs down to -40C/-40F so it's not likely the problem. Other parts, such as power supplies, power bucks or the like may have specs down to either 0C/32F or -20C/-4F and you can easily mistake the ESP module as the problem when some other component is failing because it's colder than it's specified operating temperature.

How do I know this? I found out the hard way...
    I was thinking that, but figured I'd let the more experienced guys here help me rule out temp.

I don't think location or AP is likely because my AP is outdoors, both Sonoffs work fine indoors where the signal is weaker, and my Pixelpop is having no problems with the AP.

Guess my next step is to pop one open again and look for any loose solder joints, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    So you are saying northern Alaska may be an issue?
    I hope not.

Post Thanks / Like

So..... yesterday it was 52F at my house. This morning it's 14F.... Last night it rained and then snowed as the temp dropped...

It'll be interesting to see what fires up and what doesn't when the show starts at 4:30pm today...

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The store were you can find blinky-flashy gizmos that you never knew existed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast