Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uh Oh...I feel a new hobby coming on...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Uh Oh...I feel a new hobby coming on...

The first year I used pixels I hung 100 of them in 4 inverted arches. They had the randomness but they did not last a second season. The wires came loose from the base. I now do inverted arches using boscoyo strips and the viewing angle is 90 degrees off. Still looks nice. I have a bunch of strips in my front tree. I let the randomness of nature control where they bend and change direction. It is a neat effect. Yes pixels tend to be more orderly. However, you can do things to make them not look so steril. It is up to us as the creators to make the show look the way we want. My window frames have twists in the strips to make the pixels not be in a perfect line (close but not perfect). There are warbles in my matrix that I refuse to fix because the reduce the sterility factor. Etc...

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

if i where to do pixels, this is how i would them https://youtu.be/h25F8BYdb54
    they are a member here

Post Thanks / Like

that is a nice combination of straight on mixed.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I started this crazy hobby in 2006. As has been suggested check out displays on this site, go around your area and see what people are doing. I have all Incan and dumb LEDs. I'm thinking about migrating my dumb RGB rainbow floods and LED Strips to Pixels. Something about being able to turn your whole house a different color is appealing. you're going to spend a lot of time research and trying things out. The members on this site are an excellent source information so ask away. Good luck and keep us updated on your new found addiction. . . .

Post Thanks / Like

I like old school c9s and Incans but my 800 pixel megatree is badass!!! I'm all over the place with c9s incans pixels ropes blow molds inflatables you name it I've got it. It's up to you and your taste. Welcome to the addiction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    I would suggest:
    Pixels (you're going to end up wanting them anyway.. skip the old school stuff) $10 - ?? a strand
    ESPixelSticks for Controllers (small low-cost wifi controllers = fewer wires and a fraction of the cost of the 'big controllers') ~$10
    FPP & Raspberry Pi for playback & control $30
    Vixen3 & xLights for making the blinky/flashy $free

Power will depend on what you want to do
    I'd like to move from dumb strips that I like my roof and windows to pixels. I see they usually come in 50 and 100 node strings. Does it make more sense to buy longer strings as you just cut them to length anyways?

I have bought strips from Ray and then the ordered again in the future and had the colors not match (all white, had blue tint) does this happen with pixel strings?

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of smaller mfgs in the optics (Leds) business in Asia so there is a lot of variance on product, especially as they shop for price. I'm sure they can get consistency if they buy from the big guys, Cree etc but that may not be a price we are willing to pay.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot of color variation, even from the same vendor. Strips have a very different color than bullets as well.

Bullet nodes come in 25, 50 and 100 node lengths with 50 nodes being the most common. Some vendors will make you a custom length string with custom spacing (yet another personal choice discussion). I buy 25 and 50 bullet node strings and cut them up for my props. Rarely do I use 25 or 50 pixels. Also you will need to do power injection. This will change you pixel string length as you add injection points. For the simple setup I described, power injection wont be an issue. Anything much bigger and power distribution must be part of your planning.

Post Thanks / Like

another random thought... you mentioned doing color changes for the seasons. maybe a good start would a set of pixel based flood lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by will3ishere View Post
    if i where to do pixels, this is how i would them https://youtu.be/h25F8BYdb54
    they are a member here
    Agreed!

I've always loved this setup. (Too bad his "drive over" design in the driveway didn't work out. That would have been something.) I wonder how the free hung pixels in the megatree, and those across the house, are holding up. One of the not-so-good things about free hanging pixels is the strain it puts on the wiring going in and out of the pixel package (square, bullet, etc.). Standard AC lights (LED or incan) take advantage of the leap-frog type of wiring. The wires from each bulb are wrapped around wires that are bypassing that particular bulb. This provides somewhat of a strain relief to that bulb's wiring. Pixels in their very nature don't do that.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast