Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Uh Oh...I feel a new hobby coming on...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Uh Oh...I feel a new hobby coming on...

Here's the amount of dumb strips I am using. I'd like to swap all to pixels. I'm learning about ESpixelsticks from this thread. It would appear they may work well for the variety of distances some of these strips are from a central point. Am I able to control pixels strings from x lights or vixen 3?
    I've never touched a rasberry pi, and no nothing about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by m3chris; 12-08-2017 at 09:59 PM.

2. Likes kychristmas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Uh Oh...I feel a new hobby coming on...

You use Vixen or xLights to create your sequences. Then you use Vixen or xLights or the PI to play the sequences. I find it better to use a $35 PI to play the show than to tie up one of my computers or laptops.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hijacking this tread (kinda)

I am also in the same boat, except I have working Renards Plus 32 & Pi running falcon. Sadly I have yet to get a full show running.

I have a few quick questions along the same lines here though.

Where can I get a ESPixelStick?
    What is, and where can I get a PiCap?
    Best way to find shows in my area (I live in MN Burnsville)?

My current plan is find a way to run some sample pixels, then come September build and deploy.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Amazon, digwdf store or the Renard-plus store have the ESPPixel sticks. Not always in stock but we are coming up on the next pre-season group buys so you may be able to get some that way.

Falcon store has a good PiCap. RonP PiCap is the one I am using. You would have to hunt for a source for it though.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of sources for pixels I know. I've reached out to Ray this morning.

Can someone explain the quality differences out there? (Amazon)

I'd like to buy a string or two and a pixelstick to start figuring out mounting and how to control, then buy a large amount once I have those figured out. Should I just grab some at holiday coro?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m3chris View Post
    Lots of sources for pixels I know. I've reached out to Ray this morning.

Can someone explain the quality differences out there? (Amazon)

I'd like to buy a string or two and a pixelstick to start figuring out mounting and how to control, then buy a large amount once I have those figured out. Should I just grab some at holiday coro?

your sample string can come from anywhere. when you figure out what you want, buy then all at once...at least enough for the elements you are going to put together.

Post Thanks / Like

Being an IT guy, you get some of this in a snap. The biggest thing I've had to overcome is the lingo. I've been doing software for lots of years, and know my way around electronics and networking. I've been deliberating and piddling in my garage for two years with the pieces. We built a new house this year so 2018 is my lighting debut.

Welcome to the additiction
    Last edited by TxBillbr; Today at 02:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I also caught the bug. I have been working on animating my static display all year. Here is what I got so far:

30/24 LED matrix,
    8 led arches,
    16 string tree,
    24 string fan,
    6 mini trees, and a few other lighted lawn props.

Using Vixen lights 3.4u2 for sequencing and schedule.

Arch: 2.5m ws2811 12v leds controlled by ESP-01s , espixelstick firmware , espixelstick like circuit, 12V / 1.5A power supply, 1" pex tube, 6" x 2" pvc to hold circuit and PS. Cost per arch was about $15 US.

Led Matrix: 25m ws2812b 5V leds controlled by ESP-01s , espixelstick firmware , espixelstick like circuit, 5V / 60A power supply. 1x6 wood, .6mil plastic sheet (protection / frosting). Cost $82 US. Mostly the costs were for the leds and power supply.

Tree, Fan and other display items are controlled by NRF24L01+ radio / arduino (nano or mini) circuits and relay modules. still playing with code. For the most part they run, but sometimes the radios stop transmitting and receiving causing me to have to power cycle them. Still trying to solve this issue.

8 outlet relay receiver module: 4 - 115V duplex outlets, NRF24L01+ transceiver module with adapter socket, arduino nano or mini, 5V /1.2A power supply, 74HC595 / ULN2801 circuit and wood. Cost $15 Us.

Transmitter: arduino nano, NRF24L01+ and adapter module plus 2db antenna, and 5V 1.2A power supply for NRF24L01. The arduino nano is getting power from usb.

Videos taken by phone:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zkP...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sds...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oFk...ew?usp=sharing

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234